PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for 5 gal JAOM

AlwaysWaven
10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Everyone who tasted my first batch (which is gone now) wants his or her own full bottle. So, I am getting off my lazy butt and getting a big batch started. I multiplied everything by 5, but I seem to remember someone saying not to use 5 times the yeast. Thoughts?

17.5 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
5 Large oranges (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
5 small handful of raisins (125 if you count but more or less ok)
5 sticks of cinnamon
5 whole cloves ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (5 pinches of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
5 teaspoons of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to five gallons

So, all that and a 7.9 bucket and I am good. Right?

Squatchy
10-08-2015, 08:21 AM
You will do good to use 5 times the yeast.

mannye
10-08-2015, 03:48 PM
You could use 10 times the yeast but it really won't hurt anything. The reason they say you don't need 5 times the yeast is basically because you're just wasting two packets.

That said... I used 5 times the yeast for my first 5 gallon batch. It was awesome.

Try to lay down at least one or two bottles out of sight for a year. It's worth it. I'm at the point where I'm about to make a double batch so I can bulk age 5 gallons for a year.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

AlwaysWaven
10-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Great, thanks gents.

So, all I need to do is dump everything into my bucket, and when the fruit drops rack into a 5 gal carboy and let it sit?

I like the idea of putting two bottles away for a year!

bmwr75
10-11-2015, 09:48 AM
I did one gallon in a glass carboy. Never racked it. Carefully bottled it right from the original carboy. Was one of my first mead batches. So I'd probably rack it to another 1 gallon jug next time and let it settle out before bottling.

mannye
10-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Great, thanks gents.

So, all I need to do is dump everything into my bucket, and when the fruit drops rack into a 5 gal carboy and let it sit?

I like the idea of putting two bottles away for a year!

Yep. It's as easy as the recipe says. I have 10 gallons going right now. 5 tangerine and 5 Meyer lemon. The tangerine is really good. Finishes tarter than the Orange JAOM which I like. I'm hoping the Meyer experiment proves "fruitful" ::pun alert: since they are supposedly a mix between orange and lemon.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/11/e616aa60d244cfaf12f373357ebb3335.jpg

Those orange things are the lemons. They are just as orange as an orange! But inside they smell like an orange that hasn't quite gone from green to orange yet.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.