• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Started a cyser using US05, have some questions.

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Disclaimer, this is sent via cell phone so ignore the bad English I blame auto correct :p

On Tuesday I got 10 gallons of fresh pressed cider from a local orchard, 5 of which got started with kv1116 which is doing fine the other 5 I used US05 and I have some questions on that.

First 12 hours I used k metasulfite to kill the bugs
12 hours later pectic enzyme to break stuff down
Rehydrated the US05 with goferm and pitched at 24 hours
While was rehydrating I added honey to a gravity of 1.091-92 about 7.5 lbs. gravity of cider was 1.038-39, both done with my refractometer and aeratedit
24 hours later I saw a little bit of co2 activity when I aerated. On the slow side but it's what I've found with US05. So I gave it the normal dose of dap/fermk
Because of work I didn't get to check it Thursday, but when I did check it last night(fri) still very very little activity. Still smelled fine and looked fine, even thought stuff had settled to the bottom. So I aerated it a bit and left it alone.

So here we are on sat morning and I checked. A gravity hydrometer which read 1.100 or a touch higher. Clearly my refractometer needs to be calibrated.

So my question is, how much longer do I wait before giving up on the us05 and pitching another kv1116. This cider/must had been sitting in my basement for 5 days at a ambient temp of 65-68f :(

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns