• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I want to make a fruit mead, any advice?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Visionist

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
I've made joe's orange mead and it came out okay, I feel that I didn't wait long enough before bottling and so even though 2 bottles sat for almost a year they still tasted pretty harsh and unpleasant. I would like to make a fruit mead, potentially peaches or cherries but open to other suggestions if one may be easier. I intend to let this one ferment for a bit longer so it tastes much better. If there are any easy to follow recipes that anyone has it would be great! This would likely be a 1 gallon batch as I don't think I want to spend the money for 26L worth right now.
Thanks!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
When you say you didn't wait long enough, what do you mean? Had the fruit fallen? It takes about 100 days for JAOM to be ready to rack and 100 more to start smoothing out. However, if you didn't follow the recipe to the letter, the result can be anything from undrinkable syrup to bitter hot rocket fuel.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
there are plenty of melomel recipes floating around. These are a few guide lines I use when making a melomel.

Buy some ferm buckets, make 1.5 gallons. When you remove the used fruit and rack you should have closer to an actual one gallon batch to age.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O8WWE...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4w7rcgxx50_e

put your fruit in a Muslin bag, so when you take your fruit out all you need to do is grab the bag and toss it in the trash.
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohi...F8&qid=1445350553&sr=8-10&keywords=muslin+bag

2-3lbs of fruit per gallon. you can go up or down as much as you want. more fruit, more intense flavor. Some fruits have such a light flavor you need to go on the heavy side. Or if you want a light flavor go light.
When fermenting fruit the flavor changes, if you want a more true fruit flavor add the fruit in the secondary. or do both primary and secondary. BOOM!

I always freeze my fruit, it helps break down the fruit and makes it easier for the yeast to ferment. prepare your must(honey,water,fruit), 24hours before pitching your yeast you want to add some K Met sulfite(the amount escapes me right now)kills wild yeast and bacteria. 12 hours before you pitch the yeast add pectic enzyme(again cant think of the amount, don't have my book on me), helps break down the fruit further.

rehydrate your yeast, if you don't have GO Ferm don't sweat it, just use some luke warm water ONLY! no nutrients. ONce you start making a lot invest in some Go Ferm. To start out with id use 71B yeast.

use nutrients and aerate once you start seeing fermentation

punch down the fruit and flip the bag over every couple days

remove the muslin bag of fruit in about 1-2 weeks.

1 month rack it and ignore it for 6 months ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns