PDA

View Full Version : Oxygenating Science

Dv8Dug
10-20-2015, 01:55 PM
I've searched numerous threads and haven't exactly found what I'm looking for. I know someone around here has the answer.

What exactly happens when oxygen is added past the 1/3 sugar break? Everything I've read says it's bad and have even referred to it as "Bruising" but not a scientific explanation to the effects.

Also...

Why is it that I only have to de-gas my melomels and not any metheglins that I make? Pectic enzyme don't do much on the melomels until I remove suspended CO2. The spiced mead's seem to clear with no problems.

Squatchy
10-20-2015, 03:49 PM
I degass everything I make. I don't know why you would do otherwise.

Stasis
10-20-2015, 03:53 PM
After the 1/3 break the yeast might not use all the oxygen in the must which could lead to some oxidation. If the yeast don't need it, don't add it.
Melomels need pectic enzyme because some fruits contain pectin. Pectin makes a mead cloudy and the yeast eats it, clearing the mead. If the mead doesn't have fruits which are high in pectin you don't need pectic enzyme. Prickly pears, for example, contain very little pectin. A 100% prickly pear melomel became crystal clear for me after 6 months. I don't know about the interaction between CO2 and pectic enzyme
The bruising probably referred to fruits in a mead becoming oxidated. Mead is rather resistant to oxidation, but if there is a fruit cap this could oxidize and affect the taste of mead anyway.
Here is a good recent thread which discusses aeration http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/25069-I-found-new-info-on-aeration?highlight=Aeration

PapaScout
10-20-2015, 06:38 PM
The only time I've heard "bruising" in reference to mead or wine is when a bottle has been jostled around some (like shipping) and needs to rest before drinking. Me personally? I can't tell the difference between bruised and non-bruised.