PDA

View Full Version : Add more nutrients or leave it alone?

pwizard
10-20-2015, 10:26 PM
I've heard it's beneficial to add nutrients throughout the primary ferment to cut down on aging time. Thing is, I'm not sure if I should do it or leave my batch alone since it seems to be doing well. When I started this batch I added about 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of a urea + DAP mix.

My first batch (2.5 gallons traditional, with D-47) is well under way and I'm getting one bubble every 5-6 seconds in the airlock. The small, enclosed room I have the fermenter in has a sweet smell, not quite like honey but more like that smell that happens whilst baking a cake or something. At least it doesn't smell bad or sulfurous.

I haven't opened the fermenter since this past Saturday when I started the batch. Since someone mentioned temperature concerns, I have my fermenter bucket sitting in a plastic laundry tub full of cool water (as much water as I could put in there without making the fermenter float). That's the best I can do to regulate temperature at this time.

Stasis
10-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Wow I don't know where to start. It would have been much better to post this before starting the batch. (EDIT: actually you did post a thread before this one but we got caught up on the temp prob when in fact there were also other issues) Did you read the newbee guide? http://www.gotmead.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1299&d=1395107076
Without going into too much detail: It is hard to know whether or not to add nutrients because we do not know exactly how far fermentation has progressed. It might be too late to add nutrients.. or maybe not. The kind of nutrient used may also be a problem since dap and urea are insufficient. You might need to aerate the mead but we also need to know how far along fermentation has progressed for that.
This is all explained in the newbee guide

bmwr75
10-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Read this web site to learn some about nutrients. http://www.meadmaderight.com/

Squatchy
10-21-2015, 10:42 PM
+1 what Stasis said.
Along with his reply I would add to never use Urea in a Mead.