PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions on 2nd batch of Cyser

The WideBody
10-29-2015, 02:36 AM
first post. lurked for many weeks. read alot. learned alot. still need to learn more.

my first batch is in the basement. ended up with 3 gallons in the secondary. used ec1118. og was 1.11 - i didn't take a final reading but it is very dry. lots of particulants. i'm gonna leave it for several months - hoping that it will clear so that I can bottle it up. hoping that aging will work it's magic.

my question is in regards to my second batch.

picked the little crab apples off my friend's tree. boiled on the stove top for an hour. strained off solids. added additional water to equal 1 gallon. very low og reading at 70 degrees. very tart - very much like cherry juice. added two lbs of local raw honey to sub 100 degree crab apple infusion. new og reading of sub 1.85 at 70 degrees. added yeast nutrient per instructions on the bag. added a small handful of raisins. a small handful of dark toasted oak chips. a few pebbles of all spice and a single clove. yeast is safale us-05. all in a gallon glass carboy with airlock. started bubbling within a couple hours. took a taste test at 48 hours. still very sweet. taste test at 72 hours. i love it! sweet but not overly. i love the amount of fizziness. taste test at 96 hours. i liked it a lot better at 72 hours. my wife really liked it - she likes her wines on the dryer side. i'll try it tomorrow, but it is probably gonna be a little too dry for my tastes - my wife may love it.

how can i obtain that 72 hour taste and feeling in a bottle? i've read the many ideas for stopping fermentation - and also the reasons why they may not work. i suppose that i can just rack and place the secondary in the fridge and drink quickly.

i'll have to rerun my test and take a gravity reading at the 72 hour mark. i feel the only real way that i can obtain that feel in a bottle would be to add just enough honey to hit that reading. continue till dry and age. (is there a moment when the yeast have all died off?) i feel that i can then resweeten with the remainder of honey and force carb in a kegging system. then bottle from there.

sounds complicated. but if that's the bomb proof way of making it work. i'm willing to do it.

please let me know if i'm on the right track.

bmwr75
10-29-2015, 08:20 AM
You can stabilize the mead with potassium sorbate (K-sorb) and potassium bimetasulphite (K-meta) and then backsweeten with honey to the desired sweetness level.

For a 1 gallon batch, I use 1/8 teaspoon of K-meta and 1/4 teaspoon of K-sorb to stabilize. Just multiply this times the number of gallon in your batch.

Squatchy
11-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to stop your fermentation mid stream.
With dry yeast make sure to not rehydrate it in any nutrients other than fermaid 0. And don't dry pitch it into your must