PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon Oil?

Ken2029
10-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Greetings:

I'm wanting to add a little cinnamon flavor to my first batch, but I am reluctant to throw in a dirty stick from God knows where third world country. What about cinnamon oil? If this is a good idea, how much would you use on a 1 gallon batch and when would you add it?

Thanks!!

Mazer828
10-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Idly, I wonder how many dirty sticks from God knows where it takes to make cinnamon oil?

Sorry. I know that's not helpful. Couldn't help myself. I wish I had experience using oils to flavor mead or beer but I don't. Good luck!

Ken2029
10-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Idly, I wonder how many dirty sticks from God knows where it takes to make cinnamon oil?

Sorry. I know that's not helpful. Couldn't help myself. I wish I had experience using oils to flavor mead or beer but I don't. Good luck!

Lots of them, not doubt, and I bet they are filthy. However, I'm thinking the process of making it into oil may have some purifying effect. Who knows?

Mazer828
10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Not a bad thought. I've always just used cinnamon sticks. I get them in bulk and to tell you the truth I don't worry about any contaminants all that much. I usually add the spices in secondary, in which case there is enough alcohol present to deal with any minor issues. Or I'll make a tea by steeping the spices, and add that to the secondary, which had the added bonus of heat to help with any issues in the spices. I know that's not what you want to do, and I'm all for innovation. But maybe it'll help. Good luck!

jdranchman
10-30-2015, 11:57 AM
From reading my SO's materials on essential oils that she use to sell... Most all commercial essential oils are made with a distillation process and are thus rather clean - at least by the end of the process. There are other non-heat ways but they are slow and not very productive for a commercial operation. Most oils are further diluted with ethyl alcohol for ease of use/dosing. If I were you, even at the risk of loosing some aromatics, I would put a few drops in 180deg water and let it sit off heat for 20 minutes. This should effectively pasteurize it before putting it in the must. I wonder if doing the heating thing with the whole bottle of oil in a pot of water - with the lid off - would work to pasteurize the whole bottle?

Make sure what you buy says "food grade/safe" on it. Do not use "therapeutic grade". Caveat emptor

Ken2029
10-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I wonder if doing the heating thing with the whole bottle of oil in a pot of water - with the lid off - would work to pasteurize the whole bottle?

[/B][/I]

I bet that would work. Thanks.

pokerfacepablo
10-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Throw the sticks in some cheap vodka and make an extract. That way you won't have any oils in your mead.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ken2029
10-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Throw the sticks in some cheap vodka and make an extract. That way you won't have any oils in your mead.

Sounds good. What about using ground cinnamon?

pokerfacepablo
10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Sounds good. What about using ground cinnamon?
Sticks are more concentrated and don't produce a haze like most ground spices. I personally don't use a lot of extracts anymore. I do the same as Mazer828 and put it in the secondary and don't worry about it.

Squatchy
10-30-2015, 07:50 PM
I second the "don't worry about it" part. Your tossing food grade stuff in alcohol.