PDA

View Full Version : fruit cap plugging bottle neck

mlmihlfried
11-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Hi second attempt at mead and am trying a blueberry vanilla mead. I made a 6 gallon batch initially then split into several smaller carboys for the secondary to try a couple of different additives. In a three gallon carboy i added frozen blueberries and vanilla bean innards. now the fruit mat seems to be blocking the neck and it want to overflow. I have poked it down several times but it keeps creeping back up and afraid I am going to have a mess on my hands. Any suggestions? thanks.

PitBull
11-02-2015, 07:44 AM
If you have a small enough spoon, remove the fruit to a sterilized bowl. Then transfer to a long, sterilized hop sack weighted down with sterilized, food-safe marbles. It will likely take a fair amount of marbles. Removing the sack with marbles takes quite a bit of effort to get it through the neck of the carboy. Removing the sack after racking is easier the before racking. Removing before racking might require tweezers or a very small spoon to remove the marbles one-at-a-time.

Any displaced mead can be placed in a small carboy, e.g. beer bottle with No.2 drilled stopper and airlock, for topping off the main batch.

Good luck.

Mazer828
11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
I know this doesn't help you now, but after my first similar experience, I did all my fruit additions in 6 gallon buckets. Never again will fruit go into a carboy! Lol. Good luck!