PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Squatchy
11-03-2015, 11:09 AM
My woman like the spicey, peppery finish that most Cabernet's have. Do any of you know how that wine gets that finish? I'm guessing it's in the grape skin since almost all of that style has it. I made her a batch and it's very good. It is however lacking in the finish notes of the Cab. Does anyone know how to get that?

58limited
11-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Wish I could help. What kit did you use? I would suggest spending the extra $$ and get the kit that comes with the skins. I made my first kit this year, Old Vine Lodi Zinfandel with skins and I can detect a bit of the peppery finish. It is bulk aging right now and tastes rather young, but I keep dipping into it - probably drank 2 bottles worth by now.

Squatchy
11-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Wish I could help. What kit did you use? I would suggest spending the extra $$ and get the kit that comes with the skins. I made my first kit this year, Old Vine Lodi Zinfandel with skins and I can detect a bit of the peppery finish. It is bulk aging right now and tastes rather young, but I keep dipping into it - probably drank 2 bottles worth by now.

I didn't get a kit. I just did it myself. I made a pomegranate mead/wine with a little star anise, oak, peper corns and some cardamon seeds.

mannye
11-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Have you tried oaking it? I find that some oak brings out a lot of character. I am just throwing darts blindfolded here.

Squatchy
11-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Have you tried oaking it? I find that some oak brings out a lot of character. I am just throwing darts blindfolded here.

Thanks Mannye. Yes I have oaked it