PDA

View Full Version : Can this batch of peach mead be salvaged? Left in primary fermenter too long

RainGirlLori
11-06-2015, 05:17 AM
So I have a 5 gallon plastic primary fermenter that was set up last December. Yeah. It was kept in a safe place with a stable room temperature. Life happened, medical stuff ensued, it was forgotten amidst the chaos. Until recently when we overhauled the kitchen.

I braved it. I strained out the fruit and got it into the sterile glass carboy. It smells okay, like a yeasty mead. Hydrometer was practically 0. I don't know what I'm doing. Help? Can this be saved?

Floral Peach Mead
Ingredients:

10 pounds Honey
1/2 cup organic lemon juice and some peel
10 pounds organic peaches, frozen then thawed
1 tbs dry Jasmine
Rosewater
Orange Blossom Water
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2 tsp. Yeast Energizer
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets

1 Pkg. Mead Yeast (I think it was Wyeast 4184, I researched a lot of yeasts and had a list, but then failed to actually make note of which one I ultimately bought. Pretty certain it was a Wyeast brand)

Squatchy
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
If it taste ok then what are you hoping you can do for it?

Is it clear now or turbid?

What would you like to change about it?

That's not very much honey for a 5 gallon batch. I imagine it's pretty thin, is it?

PapaScout
11-06-2015, 08:16 PM
After that long the yeast cells are dead. When they die the cells "pop" and can produce off flavors.

It should be safe to drink, though. Have you tasted it to see where it's at?

Squatchy
11-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Sometimes , when the yeast "pop" that is a desired affect. Not sure about your particular strain.

PapaScout
11-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Popping can be good sometimes? :) Cool. I've always heard it as bad. Why is there so much to learn in the mead making business? Off to do more research.

Squatchy
11-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Popping can be good sometimes? :) Cool. I've always heard it as bad. Why is there so much to learn in the mead making business? Off to do more research.

Papascout

Read Oskaars write up on the home page of this web site on Sur lie aging

PapaScout
11-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Papascout

Read Oskaars write up on the home page of this web site on Sur lie aging

Thanks Squatchy - will do.