• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hydrometer progress in secondary fermentation:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hi Guys,

quick question about the science behind these hydrometer readings through the mead making process:

If I have an initial gravity reading in my primary of say...1.072 (give or take) and I wait for it to ferment down to 1.001 or even 1.000 and then rack to secondary,
how low can I expect it to drop below that reading once it's 'ready' in my secondary?

I understand you need to keep taking periodic readings and once you find it hasn't moved in a week it's good to bottle, but I'd also understood 1.000 to be the gravity of distilled water. So will it actually drop much below that once in secondary? Sorry if this question is confusing and thanks for any help.

Cheers!

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Yup it will fall below 1.000 cause you now have a mixture of ethanol, water, and other stuff.
I personally haven't had one go below 0.998 but have heard of them going to 0.995.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
When it gets to 1.000 you are done for all practical purposes. You can then stabilize with sulphites and sorbates and bottle when clear. If you want to backsweeten to semi-sweet or sweet, do that after stabilizing.

Ghost99

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
ok, so at this point, it's safe to leave it alone for awhile and bottle when it starts to become clear? I've also never heard of 'stabalizing'. Is there more info or any links I can follow to learn more?

Thanks!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns