PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to buy to start making my own beer?

xuxiwen
11-18-2015, 10:19 PM
I live near a store that sells all the equipment, so I could just ask them, but I would like to know before so I am not talked into anything I don't need. I just want to be able to make a few batches of home made brew. What items will I need, and how much is it going to cost?

bernardsmith
11-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Hi Xuxiwen... How many gallons to a batch - 1? 3? 5? Are you interested in brewing with all grain or extract and steeping grains or extract only? Are you interested in brewing kits or assembling your own ingredients? Are you prepared to spend about 6 hours on what is called "brew day" or do you have other ways that you want or need to spend your time? Do you have a really good source of heat or will you be using your stove top?

bmwr75
11-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Amazon.com sells a home brewing kit with all the required equipment for about $90 U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Brew-Home-Brewing-K6/dp/B01467U8KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447952775&sr=8-1&keywords=home+brew+kit

Additional costs are glass bottles and the consumables used to make beer (i.e., hops, grains, etc.).

mannye
11-20-2015, 12:22 AM
If you're just starting out, I would recommend an extract kit. You can find them all over the net, but try to visit one of the sponsors we have here! :)

kuri
11-21-2015, 07:06 AM
The first thing I'd do is read Jim Palmers "How to Brew", available for free online here: http://www.howtobrew.com
That will help you answer all of bernardsmith's questions. Jim Palmer lays out the whole brewing process, including what equipment you need for what purpose. As with all hobbies, there's really no upper limit to how much you can spend. I'm guessing you want to just get your feet wet first, though. This book will help you decide how wet. Or how much of your feet. It describes the simplest approach first (extract only), and then lets you know what more you will need to go beyond that. For extract only, you need a brew kettle (20% bigger than your starting volume. To make 19 liters (5 US gallons), you should count on starting with about 27 liters, boiling down to 21, cooling, pitching yeast, fermenting, then kegging / bottling.) That would mean a kettle that can hold 33 liters or more. You need a fermentation bucket that is again about 20% bigger than the volume of wort you add to it. I believe most brew buckets are around 26 liters. It will be helpful if you have a sock to put hops into, or as many socks as you will have hop additions. Then, you need a way to get the wort from the kettle into the brew bucket without picking up any germs. You can use a siphon if your kettle doesn't have a valve attached to it, though a valve makes things much easier. I'd suggest (half inch inner diameter food grade) silicone tubing. It's more expensive than other kinds of tubing, but it is good for temperatures from -100F to 500F (-73C to 260C). Then you need either bottles or a keg. The bottle option is cheaper but much more labor intensive. It requires getting bottles and cleaning them if they are used, bottle caps, and a bottle capper. Finally, or perhaps I should have said first and foremost, you need a good (preferably no-rinse) sanitizer. I prefer StarSan, but Iodophor works well to, and I'm sure there are other options too.

This is close to the bare minimum. (The absolute bare minimum would be just a kettle, a hop bag, and a good sanitizer -- boil in the kettle, add hops according to your hopping schedule, remove hops at the end, let cool, and use the kettle as your ferment bucket.) Further equipment that you might opt for includes a wort chiller of some sort -- something you can connect to the water from your sink to send cold water through pipes (or plates in the case of a plate chiller) to cool off your beer in less than half an hour. Just letting everything sit in a cool place for 24 hours can work as well if you have the time and space for that. If you want to have a better idea of how strong your beer is, a hydrometer is very useful. They break very easily, though, so be extra careful with it if you get one. The easiest is usually to just get a starter kit. You can check out different kits at prices ranging from $74 to $500 here: http://www.morebeer.com/category/home-brewing-starter-kits.html

I'm sure I'm missing something important, but the book and the morebeer starting kit links should help you figure out how much you need to spend as well as how much extra you might want to spend. I hope that helps a little.

xuxiwen
11-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your reply dear.mine is 3

mannye
11-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your reply dear.mine is 3

Huh?

I'm a little confungled