PDA

View Full Version : When to start and stop oxygenation?

TNTurkey
11-21-2015, 01:03 PM
I plan to use an oxygenation kit to oxygenate my first mead. I'm pretty sure that I need to oxygenate the must before pitching the yeast-please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure how much oxygen to use (how many minutes at what flow rate) and how often I should do it.
For example, is 4-5 minutes at 4L/min adequate or should I do it more often on the first and then on subsequent days?
Thanks for all the help and knowledge I've been getting on this forum.
Phil

Squatchy
11-21-2015, 02:12 PM
I would run it prior to pitch for sure. Maybe 3-4 minutes at your 4L rate. After that I would use a drill stirrer a couple times a day up to the half way point. After that I would just degas it every other day until ferment stops.

TNTurkey
11-21-2015, 02:59 PM
I would run it prior to pitch for sure. Maybe 3-4 minutes at your 4L rate. After that I would use a drill stirrer a couple times a day up to the half way point. After that I would just degas it every other day until ferment stops.

Thank you. How do you degas? Do you use the stirrer or just swirl it around?

Squatchy
11-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Either way.just do it small enough to not suck air into the must

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Mazer828
11-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I use pure medical grade oxygen from a rescue tank, with a stainless steel micro perforated 'stone' at the end of the hose. And for a five gallon batch I typically run it wide open for about 30 seconds. I'm totally not sure how many ppm of oxygen I'm getting into the must (I should study more about it) but it seems to be a winning formula with beer and mead.