PDA

View Full Version : JAO all natural BOMM question

mihrcke
11-21-2015, 02:13 PM
What "brand" dried currants can, or should be used for this recipe? Will Sunmaid Zante Currants fill the requirements?

It is interesting to me that the nutrition info on the raisins I have show more K than the zante currants...not much more, but more...300mg vs 290mg.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

loveofrose
11-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Those will work great. Be sure to add pectinase to help it clear.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

mihrcke
11-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

Now I just have to pick out an Orange in place of the valencia Orange...I think I'm running into a seasonal issue, LOL.

BeeHog
11-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Try a sweet Cutie or Clementine in place of the orange. Might take 2 or 3 to be equivalent to 1 orange.

mihrcke
11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
BeeHog, thank you!

I think I'm going to use 3 Clementines.

I think I'll zest(potato peeler method) 2 of them and remove pith, then use everything (pith and all) from the third.

loveofrose
11-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Only use the peel from one of those three clementines. The peel can get powerful and require a lot of aging.

mihrcke
11-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the added advice! Greatly appreciated. :-D

mihrcke
11-27-2015, 09:53 PM
So I started a 1 gallon JAO all natural BOMM on Tuesday (24 Nov), and I don't think it likes the Zante Currants. I didn't measure the gravity yet today, but, there's been very little airlock activity, and stirring/degassing today doesn't show much activity either. The 1388 seemed fine, smacked about 3 hrs before pitch(pack was expanded, and I could hear it bubbling inside...was only like 1 month since mfg date on pkg), pitched at about 75 degrees. SG was 1.136. Any thoughts? Should I start adding any DAP or FermaidK? Or? TIA

loveofrose
11-27-2015, 10:19 PM
No worries. You likely have a leak. Wyeast 1388 is a silent fury. Take a gravity reading.

mihrcke
11-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll check in the morning and report back.

Thanks again! Appreciate all the work and experimenting you've done and shared with the community.

mihrcke
11-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Ok, checked the gravity.
SG on 24 Nov at start = 1.136.
SG today 28 Nov = 1.112.

It's done some work, but seems quite slow.

Ambient temperature = 68 degrees F.

loveofrose
11-29-2015, 12:13 PM
See what it is tomorrow before you do anything. Sometimes you get an extended lag phase, then it takes off. In general, the all natural BOMM is a bit slower. I wouldn't sweat it.

mihrcke
11-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks again for the feedback and the insight...GREATLY appreciated!

This is only my 10th mead, and only one batch has really gotten to a "drinking it" stage. I started my first batch 6 July(with D47 yeast). The "drinking it" batch is a classic JAOM, started 2 Aug, and it was very well received by family at thanksgiving. :-D

I started this batch in a 2.5 gallon brew bucket, and the airlock was bubbling, but slowly...on the 4th day I was getting about 1 bubble in the airlock every 8 to 11 seconds. When I opened the bucket, attempting to keep it airtight, by not removing the tear strip, I ended up tearing a chunk out of the rim of the bucket - making it NOT airtight.

So, I've since moved the must to a "Little Big Mouth Bubbler". Now I can actually see the activity in the must, even if the airlock is not bubbling very rapidly(but it is bubbling). I guess I'm one of those that needs to see what's going on - at least for now anyway. Lol

I don't check the gravity very often while fermentation is in progress because, for me, it's not an ideal situation...

I can't drop the hydrometer in any of my 1 gallon fermenters because they are not deep enough for the hydrometer. So, I have to remove a sample ...blah ... blah ...sanitize everything (with Star San), you get the picture.

I'm going to take your advice, and not sweat it ;-). I'll check the gravity every few days or so. If it's ready to drink fast, cool...if it takes 2 months, that's cool too.

Maylar
12-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I'll be starting a JAO BOMM soon also, and I have one question - how do you get 1/4 of a clove? They're tiny little buggers...

loveofrose
12-03-2015, 11:48 AM
The best you can.

mihrcke
12-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Personally, I just broke a chunk of the stem. It was probably most of the stem, maybe 4mm in length. I didn't want to mess with trying to cut it.

It MAY be possible to use ground cloves. I've never tried it, not sure of any others either. I've only seen whole cloves listed on recipes.

loveofrose
12-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Nope. You'll never get ground cloves out!

mihrcke
12-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Day 11, SG = 1.076
Day 4 , SG = 1.112
Day 0 , SG = 1.136

Seems to be going consistently slow. I better start checking every couple days.

loveofrose
12-05-2015, 10:34 PM
What is your fermentation temp? Wyeast 1388 is optimal at 68 F.

mihrcke
12-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Ambient temp in my house is 68-70 F.

mihrcke
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Temperature of the must/mead is 69.3 F.

SG = 1.072...Day 13...

Still going...

mihrcke
12-07-2015, 08:40 PM
I just checked the PH...3.6 per test strip. I didn't take a PH measurement at the beginning, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure if 3.6 is good or bad?

mihrcke
12-09-2015, 10:20 AM
SG = 1.064...Day 15 (about 9.5% ABV so far)

I guess this is becoming more like a mead log now...

It's still going...For the last several days (4+) I'm not observing any airlock activity, so, this is quite interesting(great example of airlock activity not really indicating fermentation). I can see the uneven water level in the airlock, so, I'm pretty sure I don't have a leak.

Mazer828
12-09-2015, 04:49 PM
3.6 sounds to my noob ears like it may be on the climb back out of fermentation. Could be a sign it's slowing down, as the carbonic acid comes out of solution. Little early for that, no?

MVD
12-10-2015, 04:12 PM
This is my 1st batch of mead ever (jao bomm), and mine is quite slow too. Day 1 = 1.14, Day 3 = 1.13 (co2 issues with hydrometer, i think), and Day 7 = 1.108. I have a theory. I think i read that many people here chop or rip up the raisins and currants in half, but i didn't, you? Maybe this is holding back nutrients from the yeast and thus slowing fermenration?

mihrcke
12-10-2015, 05:54 PM
MVD - yeah, I didn't cut or smash my raisins or currants in any way...I just threw them in whole. Could be a contributing factor.

I have been stirring, and swirling daily - which seems to be keeping things going...get the yeast re-suspended.

loveofrose
12-10-2015, 09:27 PM
I always leave the raisins whole and never have any issues. Are you degassing MVD?

MVD
12-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I am. I give it a semi-vigorous shake/swirl several times a day. Its also possible there were sulfites on the fruit...or i'm just impatient. Who knows? It'll work in time i am sure. It's sure fun to watch in any case :)

loveofrose
12-10-2015, 09:38 PM
JAO BOMM finishes in the 1.030-1.040 range. Keep degassing and it will get there. Put it on top of the fridge for some extra warmth.

BeeHog
12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Did any of you find a local source for dried currants? Pretty expensive to order online.

Loveofrose, I'm curious........since Fermaid-O is organic, how would you adjust this recipe to use Fermaid=O with only the fruit necessary to achieve the same taste (if that is possible)?

MVD
12-10-2015, 10:38 PM
They were in the baking supplies aisle of a local grocery store. By the chocolate chips, nuts, and such...the baking ones, not the snack aisle.

BeeHog
12-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks, I'll check there.

mihrcke
12-12-2015, 08:52 PM
SG = 1.056...Day 18

Slowly chugging away.

Maybe I should have made a 1 or 2 day starter with the smack pack rather than just a 3 hour smacked smack pack?

MVD
12-19-2015, 05:46 PM
How is it now, mihrcke?

Mine is 1.07 on day 16. I racked it off the fruit because i'm going away and cant keep an eye on it. Now i have a ton of headspace for some reason, and i am thinking of topping it up with my 2L JOAM (which is at 1.02).

mihrcke
12-19-2015, 06:37 PM
SG = 1.042...Day 25.

I think it may have just a little more to go.

I have quite a bit of headspace in my fermenter also. It's about a 1.4 gallon fermenter. I haven't racked yet...Still want to add the vanilla bean for a few days - after the yeast give up.

Maylar
12-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Mine is 1.040 at day 14. Added a vanilla bean. Still bubbling and cloudy. Will be racking after Christmas.

Maylar
12-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Racked mine at day 22, SG 1.025 and still bubbling slowly. I don't have room in the fridge to cold crash a gallon jug, so how long does a BOMM usually take to clear on its own? I missed Christmas, so there's no hurry on my part now.

loveofrose
12-28-2015, 07:45 PM
A traditional BOMM clears pretty fast, but this is not a traditional BOMM. This one needs cold crashing to clear in a timely fashion.

Maylar
01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
I moved the gallon carboy outside where it's been 35-40 F for a few days and saw no difference. I've never tried a cold crash before, so I dunno what to expect. It's turned nasty cold out now and I don't want the mead to freeze so I brought it back inside. Fermentation is done and I'd like to get this batch bottled. Is there a clearing agent out there that'd work for a JAO BOMM?

loveofrose
01-05-2016, 09:14 PM
It takes time. Cold crashing to perfect clarity can be fast or slow. Slow on this recipe.

A few questions in an attempt to help.
1. Are you keeping it in an enclosed garage?
2. How cold is it there?

Maylar
01-06-2016, 09:33 AM
No garage - I put it out on my front porch covered with a plastic bag. It was 35 at night and up to 40F in the day. Temps have been in the single digits here the last few days, so I moved it back into the house (65-ish). I wish I had a fridge that I could dedicate to this hobby.. that's on my want list.

Mazer828
01-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Have you considered bentonite? I have mixed success with it, but when it works it freakin' works! Most success has been with non-fruit meads. Mels just don't cooperate for some reason.

And yeah I've heard the claims that bentonite strips some of the flavor out. I've never noticed a loss. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough. Lol. Anyway it's a pretty inexpensive option.

BeeHog
01-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Those will work great. Be sure to add pectinase to help it clear.

At what point (when) should the pectinase be added?

Thanks!

loveofrose
01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Upfront is best, but it can be added at anytime. It just works a bit slower once alcohol is in the mix.

BeeHog
01-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Wow, I started one 4 days ago and didn't no to add this.

How much should I add per gallon?

Maylar
01-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Whatever the directions on the package say. Typically 1/2 TSP per gallon.

mihrcke
01-07-2016, 11:21 PM
It wasn't in the original recipe, or I missed it when I just double checked.

Also, looking at the notes along the way in the original recipe thread, loveofrose noted, at 3 months it was crystal clear. (After 9 days of cold crashing it was noted as still cloudy-think wheat beer and drink it)

I forgot those details [emoji2].

crgjhnsn
11-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Quick question (I hope). Besides the different ingredients, do you make this the same as the regular BOMM? Little confused on if you add anything to it as you go, and when/how often to degas. Also, how do you get the 1/8 of a nutmeg, just kit it with something to break off chunks? Sorry I'm pretty new at this. I've made the original JAOM a few times, and trying to expand a little. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I missed any post that already covered this I apologize. Thanks!

caduseus
11-22-2016, 12:50 AM
So I started a 1 gallon JAO all natural BOMM on Tuesday (24 Nov), and I don't think it likes the Zante Currants. I didn't measure the gravity yet today, but, there's been very little airlock activity, and stirring/degassing today doesn't show much activity either. The 1388 seemed fine, smacked about 3 hrs before pitch(pack was expanded, and I could hear it bubbling inside...was only like 1 month since mfg date on pkg), pitched at about 75 degrees. SG was 1.136. Any thoughts? Should I start adding any DAP or FermaidK? Or? TIA

Do you have Go-Ferm? or Fermaid-O?

loveofrose
11-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Quick question (I hope). Besides the different ingredients, do you make this the same as the regular BOMM? Little confused on if you add anything to it as you go, and when/how often to degas. Also, how do you get the 1/8 of a nutmeg, just kit it with something to break off chunks? Sorry I'm pretty new at this. I've made the original JAOM a few times, and trying to expand a little. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I missed any post that already covered this I apologize. Thanks!

This recipe is designed for those without access to nutrients. I calculated nutrient content of the fruit to supply everything needed for the yeast. Add all upfront. Degassing daily to punch the fruit down. Just smash the nutmeg and do the best you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darigoni
11-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Nutmeg. If you are using fresh, then you'll want to use some sort of a "grater". The standard kitchen grater is four sided, use the side with the smallest holes.

Squatchy
11-22-2016, 10:17 AM
This recipe is designed for those without access to nutrients. I calculated nutrient content of the fruit to supply everything needed for the yeast. Add all upfront. Degassing daily to punch the fruit down. Just smash the nutmeg and do the best you can.

Hi Bray

Please, can you tell me where you found YAN values for the raisins? I have looked before and haven't found any info. Maybe I don't recognize it when I see it.

loveofrose
11-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Hi Bray

Please, can you tell me where you found YAN values for the raisins? I have looked before and haven't found any info. Maybe I don't recognize it when I see it.

You are not going to find that information unfortunately. YAN from fruit mostly comes from proteolysis of the proteins in the fruit. The only thing you can do is add enough fruit protein for the yeast to degrade for YAN.

caduseus
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Hey BRay:
I checked out your website last night.
Do you think a JAO BOMM could be made with Dates + Coconut instead of Raisins and oranges?

Thanks

loveofrose
11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
From a nutrient standpoint, I think you might need to add banana to cover all nutrients. Bananas don't add a lot of flavor.