PDA

View Full Version : Can I aerate anytime during primary fermentation?

Ghost99
12-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 2 gallon batch going at the moment made from about 2.5 KGs of Tasmanian Leatherwood honey and Lalvin 71B. It had an OG of 1.082 and has been fermenting in primary for about 8 days now.

I aerated it once per day for the first 3 days or so and it's been fermenting ever since (albeit slowly-a blast of about 10 bubbles every 30-40 seconds or so). I checked the gravity last night and it's sitting at 1.040 now, so still a ways to go. It also feels like fermenting is slowing down a bit. I can hear it 'sizzling' still, but the surface isn't showing a ton of fizz as it did earlier on.

Since the primary obviously has a ways to go, is it ok to aerate it again after not having done so for at least 4 days? Or should I leave it alone and hope for the best, maybe checking gravity in another week?

Squatchy
12-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I degass it it from this point on. The idea is not to induce more O2 but to degass CO2. So just a gentle action to help the gas escape

Marshmallow Blue
12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Nope, no need to aerate. The yeast stops using oxygen after the first few days (when it is still reproducing). Did you use nutrients at all? That could explain the slow down. Just keep a weekly eye on the gravity. It seems liek it will finish out but slowly. If it doesn't finish, you should at least get into a tolerable range of residual sweetness.

For future batches, look into staggered nutrient additions in mead.

Ghost99
12-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention:

I added 1.3 teaspoons of Go-Ferm in with the yeast while hydrating, and a teaspoon of Fermaid K to the must prior to pitching the yeast. Just once though, at the beginning.

bmwr75
12-02-2015, 10:25 AM
I stop aerating when the SG reaches 1.030 and put water in the airlock at that point also.