• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Calculating ABV after dilution and with one unknown factor.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
So I have a batch which, after a few times racking shrunk in volume from 15 liters exactly to an unknown size <15 liters. The starting gravity was 1.130 and the final gravity of this batch of <15 liters is 1.020. That's 14,44% alcohol before adding the following:

I've added a total of 1650ml which does not contain any alcohol and has not fermented, it's pure dilute. After adding this to the batch, what is the new alcohol contents?

Original Volume: 15 liters
Current Volume: ?
Original Gravity: 1.130
Current Gravity: 1.026
Current Alcohol: 13,65%

Addition: 1650 ml
New Alcohol: ?

Sounds like a question from a math book and I really really suck at maths. :( Please halp!

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Without knowing the volume before or after you diluted the batch, there is now way to figure out the alcohol content mathematically.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
Does the new addition contain sugar? Is it juice or honey & water or something? If it's just water, you can work it out based on the new SG. If you've also added sugar, that option is also out.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
Okay, so you should be able to take your new SG and work it out.

Take your old FG (1.026) and put that into the mead calculator as the starting SG. Then put your new FG in as the FG. This will give you the ABV drop.

So it you went from 1.026 to 1.010, that gives about a 2% drop, which would make your batch now about 11.65%

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns