PDA

View Full Version : Carbonation drops

Nimrod
12-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Hi all, Noob here. I've got about a dozen batches under my belt, and have found the search tool has answered most of my questions so far. So thanks for that. But now I'm stumped. I acquired some Coopers carbonation drops that I'd like to use for a cyser that's ready to bottle. The directions say 1 dose for a 375ml bottle. The bottles I'm hoping to use are recycled Guinness extra stout bottles, and they're 12oz. each. That's 354mls. My question is will the 21ml difference make these unsafe? I've never used drops before.

mihrcke
12-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I've not used carbonation drops on mead yet, but, for beer or cider I have. The drops from northern brewer say 1 for 12 oz, 2 for a 22 oz bottle.

Farmboyc
12-07-2015, 12:21 AM
I couldn't see that small of a volume change making any significant difference.

I think you would be fine if it is a dry mead. The risk is if you have a SG over 1.00 (sweet mead ) if you topped out the alcohol tolerance of your initial yeast and you put the carbonation tabs in and the yeast they contain can ferment the sugar that your initial yeast could not.

Make any sense to you? Or am I explaining this poorly?

Nimrod
12-07-2015, 12:30 AM
I couldn't see that small of a volume change making any significant difference.

I think you would be fine if it is a dry mead. The risk is if you have a SG over 1.00 (sweet mead ) if you topped out the alcohol tolerance of your initial yeast and you put the carbonation tabs in and the yeast they contain can ferment the sugar that your initial yeast could not.

Make any sense to you? Or am I explaining this poorly?

Well, I'm not sure how you'd carbonate a sweet mead without using a keg. At any rate, yes, it's dry. The carbonation tabs are just sugar...

Farmboyc
12-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Then I say fly at it.[emoji106]

Nimrod
12-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Meh, I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens. I do think it's weird that they changed the package from "one dose per 12 oz." to "one dose per 375mls." Hopefully they didn't change the recipe.
On to the next batch!