PDA

View Full Version : Moving while fermenting

Achtlaut
12-06-2015, 04:21 PM
So just started a few batches about a week ago, I'm moving in about a month and a half. What's the best way to transport Mead while it's fermenting?

EbonHawk
12-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Very carefully. I put my brews in cardboard boxes, then stuff paper around them (the kind that comes in the mail with my brew supply equipment works nicely), with towels around the carboys as well as under the bottom. They also get a spot inside the vehicle with me to hopefully help cut down on temperature swings. I get them there and put them in a cool, dark place as soon as possible, and clean up anything that might have leaked out around the fermentation lock.

Achtlaut
12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Should I remove the airlock and seal it if the trip is around 5-10min?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EbonHawk
12-06-2015, 11:16 PM
If it's not undergoing rapid fermentation then yeah, that would be fine. Maybe just affix a stopper loosely in the carboy mouth, or you could even put a plastic ziploc bag over and rubber band it in place. Unused Ziploc bags out of the box are some of the most sterile things outside of a surgical suite. The only thing cleaner that I know of is a piece of aluminum foil... hey, that would work as well. Good luck and safe travels. :-)

fuelish
12-07-2015, 02:16 AM
Unused Ziploc bags out of the box are some of the most sterile things outside of a surgical suite. The only thing cleaner that I know of is a piece of aluminum foil. Ziploc bags are not sterile....nothing in your regular everyday environment is sterile....foil is not sterile...if it were me, I'd just leave airlocks in, pack well, keep them in the car with me, put hazards on and drive like a baby :)

EbonHawk
12-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Ziploc bags are not sterile....nothing in your regular everyday environment is sterile....foil is not sterile...if it were me, I'd just leave airlocks in, pack well, keep them in the car with me, put hazards on and drive like a baby :)I really meant clean. Sorry. Sterile is not possible. Nothing can grow on plastic or tinfoil, not without serious help (ie. contamination by people/critters). If it's still in its original packaging and not adulterated in some way, then even things like paper towels, ziploc plastic bags, and aluminum foil are extremely clean. They are way cleaner than any other objects or surfaces in your house (a few exceptions exist, certainly).

During the manufacturing process, foil and plastic undergo high temps and then get packaged into forms that inherently prevent contamination. I'm not saying you could use these products in a surgical setting by any means, but for everyday purposes they are some of the cleanest surfaces you can find without doing a complete sanitation by iodophor or bleach or whatever you prefer to use.