PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions wanted for minimising filtering losses and oxidization.



TheGiantGinger
12-07-2015, 04:38 AM
Hey all,
Between various mead batches I found 12L of Apricot nectar available really cheap and decided to try and make an apricot wine out of it. Without any other additives it started at 1.090 and is almost dry just over a week later and has begun separating. However, the left over pulp from the apricot nectar appears to be taking up a massive amount of space, 9 of 12 litres it seems.

It seems a bit of a waste to get rid of so much gross lees, so I'm wondering about trying to filter it with some cheese cloth or something (a quick test shows that this seems to work alright). Does anyone have any experience with this, and can suggest some ways of doing this without oxidizing the whole thing. I was thinking:

Slowly pour into a large funnel lined with cheese cloth and then into another demijohn. Add a half cup of sugar to re-start a bit of the fermentation and drive off some of the excess oxygen. Thoughts?

Mazer828
12-07-2015, 08:14 AM
I've done very similarly a few times. I use a 5 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. You can get them at the hardware store, and they fit right over the rim of the bucket. I find it easier and faster this way than to use a funnel, plus a "bigger" pour for less oxidation. Lift out the bag when you're done, and suspend it over the bucket to drain for a little while. Then siphon quietly to a carboy and as you say, a small sugar addition (I prefer honey) will start a secondary ferment that will clean up any oxygen you might be worried about.

Squatchy
12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
You could also wrap the bottom of your racking cane with cheese cloth or a strainer bag of some sort. I use the res add on piece on the tip so I don't get the hole clogged up while I have the stuff on the tip as the filter.