• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Aging Questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

NeilV

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2015
When you bulk age mead in a carboy, do you use and airlock or a solid plug?

Do you ever get rid of the airlock before bottling?

Thanks

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
When you bulk age mead in a carboy, do you use and airlock or a solid plug?

Do you ever get rid of the airlock before bottling?

Thanks
Either. If it's possible that there may still be some gas in it, an airlock. If you're happy it's not gonna ferment any further then you could use a solid bung.

Make sure it's.degassed first.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
If in a bucket, you can: Stir the mead (must) with a sanitary spoon (gently) and pick up a little speed. But don't whip or froth it like you would when you're trying to aerate it at the start of fermentation. Just gently stir the liquid without disturbing the yeast at the bottom as much as possible and it should release the still suspended CO2 in it. If you stir too vigorously you could get an eruption! So be careful.

EDITED! Oops, it's in a carboy. You could try swirling it I guess, Or I might try the straight end of a racking cane. Not sure how the experts would do it....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Maybe let it warm up a little and see if the airlock bloops? I'm no expert, but I just pick the thing up (carefully) and shake it. But I always keep an airlock on it so I'm not to worried about dissolved Co2. Another option is one of those silicone breather bungs that have a one way valve.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I'm going to leave an airlock on the 1-gal batch I backsweetened yesterday just in case any residual yeast pick up steam and start processing that honey even though I added sorbate and sulfites to it already. There has been barely any airlock activity (most likely passive outgassing) since I added the honey so I plan to switch to a solid bung in a few days and put that jug away for bulk aging.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
As long as you check your airlocks on a regular basis, I just don't see the need to court danger by putting a solid stopper on something that's getting stored long-term. Just remember to check them and keep the water level topped up to the line and you're good for as long as needed. I'd rather do that than risk a sudden increase in yeast activity and a possible accident.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns