PDA

View Full Version : JAO @ 1.000 FG what next?

Steed
12-12-2015, 02:38 AM
ok so i made JOAM on 11/23/15
original gravity 1.080

today i took gravity
it is at 1.000

what should i do next?

fatbloke
12-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Read the instructions/guidance. Measuring gravity isn't a huge deviation but the recipe/method says basically, measure out, mix it, leave until clear.

If you've followed the instructions so far, it'll still be cloudy as hell, so just let it be and the sediment/fruit will drop.

I find that bread yeast can be a PITA as it doesn't flocculate well and produces a very "fluffy" lees/sediment. If you don't let the fruit drop, the layer of yeast that will settle on it will just come back into suspension once you move the fruit (even slightly) with a racking cane/tube. Hence let the fruit drop and if it's clear, rack the clear part carefully, then that can be bottled - the last part of the liquid will need racking into a smaller container so that you have less to no air space, but the sediment picked up can drop out - various sized pop/soda type bottles can be handy for this part, as you can rack the last bits into them, put them in the fridge which helps the sediment drop out a bit quicker, then if you're careful you can cut the top off the bottle to rack the clear part off and any sediment will have dropped into the moulded feet of the bottle, and that can help a fair way to reducing any racking loses.........

kudapucat
12-16-2015, 12:55 AM
OG was WAY too low, as per the original recipe, as such, FG is also way low.
You've already broken the warranty, so I'd get it off the oranges, and let it clear, then taste and consider backsweetening. The orange peel has probably added too much bitterness for such a dry mead.

valverij
12-16-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure JAOM is supposed to start in the 1.120's and ends in the 1.030's

kudapucat
12-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Y
I'm pretty sure JAOM is supposed to start in the 1.120's and ends in the 1.030's
yes. True to the recipe, it's actually a bit higher, though I like it as you say.

Steed
12-24-2015, 06:22 PM
this was my first brew; it tastes ok. little bit strong. tastes like alot of alcohol.

i will check to see if the oranges dropped tonight