PDA

View Full Version : How to make a sweet mead

AmNimru
12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I was wondering, what would be the best way to make sweet mead? And we're talking sweet like commercial sweet meads.
Do the high gravity must and keep fingers crossed the yeasties don't jump over their alcohol tolerance?
Add honey later?
Cold-crash the yeasts when a desired gravity is reached?

Does anyone have a nice, foolproof, step-by-step recipe for sweet mead?

loveofrose
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
That is a can of wormies. If you ask 10 mazers the "best" way, you'll get 10 answers.

Personally, I find all of them viable. I routinely do high gravity (Bigboy Pants, Vikings Fuzzy Navel, & Jadwiga Inspired BOMM batch 3 mead logs) and step feeding (Nearly all my newer BOMMs). Cold crashing with stabilization works fine too; I just don't need it to get what I want.

High gravity and step feeding may have a benefit of the yeast stripping the simple sugars out and yield a different tasting product compared to stabilization and backsweetening. Some people don't like the product of the last process because it has a raw honey flavor. I personally don't care. I'll take honey or mead anyway you give it to me.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Mazer828
12-17-2015, 02:49 PM
It's not conventional, but there's also the port wine approach. Start with a high gravity must, ferment down to 1.050 or so, then spike it with your choice of whiskey, rum, vodka, etc, and cold crash. Shock the yeast into dropping out, and rack it to secondary until it's stable.