PDA

View Full Version : Final acid readings question.

Squatchy
01-01-2016, 02:31 PM
I have a hunch wine makers pay lots of attention to final acid levels. And may be able to tell you what acid levels different types of wine are normal, or average for a certain wine style.

I have 50 gallons or more that I need to make a final tweak to balance my acidity to the different batches. I was just wondering how many of you keep records of your final pH levels and TA metrics.

I'm pretty sure if you measured enough bottles of wine/mead you would certainly see some averages as well as find out your own personal preference.

Thoughts?

Masbustelo
01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Squatchy I'm just starting to do this. I'm with you on your thinking.

Mazer828
01-02-2016, 05:13 PM
I've only just started incorporating pH readings into my regimen. Odd I know, but I've been operating too long thinking gravity (alcohol) is everything. Haven't even begun to measure TA. Baby steps I guess.

Squatchy
01-02-2016, 07:09 PM
I've only just started incorporating pH readings into my regimen. Odd I know, but I've been operating too long thinking gravity (alcohol) is everything. Haven't even begun to measure TA. Baby steps I guess.

I'm sure we all feel like were taking baby steps once we get past the initial "main and plain" things about making mead.

I have been reading a yeast book called Yeast. The practical guide to beer fermentation. Grant it, it's a beer book. But it's by far the most scientific read I have jumped into. It's written by the owner of White Labs. Chris White. Even though it's a beer book there are many things we can learn from. Because after all, it's the same yeast. I have learned many things that flies in the face of what we all take for granted as being true here on the forum. It now has me "chasing rabbits" down several different rabbit holes to make adjustments to my current understanding/protocol. Just when I felt like I was pretty comfortable in my understanding of good fermentation practices. I'm not disappointed, far from it actually. The feedback I get from people when I give them Mead is reassuring I'm doing lots right. (In fact I have a few batches I can't emagine I can do a single thing to improve them)

With that said just incorporating the few new things I have read should make even better results. So don't be discouraged Mazer828. Remember it's both the journey and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow we are all in pursuit of. I think the hardest part is going slow enough, and with a clear head so as not do anything without a cause in mind. And every cause should add to the overall end result, otherwise it's detracting from what we are doing. All to often here I read of guys doing this or that, and so many times I wonder if they have even really thought through things. I bet if you asked them why, they would have very little to answer with. Except "it sounded good" or "I wanted to see what would happen". I know those are important. We don't go anywhere if we don't expound our boundaries. But if we have learned everything we can from the ones before us, maybe only then would we know why we do this or that.

I'm one of the best bowyer's in the world. After I finally had as good of an understanding as you might be able to get I spent the next several years reinventing the wheel. I had reasons galore and understood all of the tradeoffs. To gain this it will cost you over there type thing. After hundreds of bows I had learned that our forefathers, all mostly indigenous peoples from different parts of the world, had established (what seemed to me to be dogma/tradition,) physical laws based on the proper physics for the materials they had available to them. I eventually ended back at where I started. But I returned with a much greater understanding of the main and plain things that had been discovered hundreds, (and in other examples), thousands of years earlier. My point is this!

We are so impatient in this world that we instantly jump off the path and start running all over the place. Never spending enough time with "the main and plain things" to gain all we can from history and tradition. I realize science has pushed mead making into the 21st century. And that's a great thing. But a greater understanding does not negate the proven things of the past. I think every one of us would be farther along had we stayed in the sand box a while longer before we headed out to where no man has been before.

Oskaar the great said it it much fewer words. Learn how to make a good traditional first. I think if that were our first goal, all of us would have a much better grasp of this crazy thing called Mazing.

I just made a new word :)

bernardsmith
01-02-2016, 07:33 PM
+1 . In my opinion we tend to careen off the track because making something "different" enables us to avoid facing the truth about what we in fact made: no one can really judge it. It's a little like zen archery. We fire the arrow and draw the bulls eye around the arrow. Perfect shot every time. But I am not sure that we learn anything about archery using that zen practice. If we worked to make a good traditional first and through that learned and understood and mastered what that takes... then I do think we would become better mead makers IF that is what we are really interested in..

Squatchy
01-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Well said Bernard!

Mazer828
01-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Wow this discussion sure has waxed philosophical! I love it! And it's so true what you said squatchy: I've seen others (and sometimes the guy in the mirror) get ahold of some enchanting idea and go bounding off after it, changing it substantially along the way for little to no reason other than whim or convenience, only to end up making something utterly phenomenal, or monumentally dismal, and no idea at all how they got there. I'd much prefer to take it slow, change one thing at a time, study one thing at a time (yeast type, honey type, ferment temps, pH buffering, acid additions, etc etc etc). As you said, I have many successes, some of which are Darned near perfect and perfectly repeatable, but unfortunately a couple of gems that I have no record of.

I'm learning to listen to others, plan a result and design a path to get there. Pause to take in everything about my mead from raw ingredients to final product. And if I make any adjustments, to be methodical and wise about them, and only to make them out of necessity, not whimsy.

One day, this will be a business for me. And if that day comes it'll have to be because I've made all of these things second nature. Or maybe just because I've come up with a handful of awesome recipes I can repeat. One of the two!

Squatchy
01-02-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm betting that it will be both. But it goes without saying that the later will have the former built in :)

bmwr75
01-02-2016, 09:57 PM
I had to Google "bowyer"..........continue your discussion. :-)

Bones6966
01-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Sorry not on topic really but i only started the journey of making mead out of curiosity and boredom and after finding this site and the community here i think i have found a new hobby. The depth that making a "Simple" mead can go to is far beyond what i expected, and to find such a helpful group of people that are so knowledgeable and humble about mead is phenomenal.

cant wait to start my next batch and see what i have learnt.

cheers all!

Squatchy
01-05-2016, 02:31 AM
Welcome to the dark side Bones :)