• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What to do if you suspect you allowed access oxagen to get at the mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

quinn.daigle

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2016
hey,

i am making mead for the first time, and have just finished transferring it from the primary to the secondary fermenter. At this point nearly all bubbling has stopped from the air lock. After doing so, I mis-read a reading of alcohol content, which lead me to believe that the fermentation was stuck. I stupidly decided that giving it quick stir might help. ( i gave it a minimal stirring, only using a straight rod, and only stirring for about 10-15 seconds) I then realized that my mistake in reading the alcohol content, and am now afraid that I have introduced to much oxygen and will end up with vinegar tasting mead. I read that maybe adding certain tablets may help to prevent viniger tastes if exposed to oxygen. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Just leave it to finish and clear.

Generally, you wouldn't oxygenate at such a late stage, but meads, specifically traditionals, benefit from honeys ability not to spoil. If there's any fermentation still happening, any air introduced will be consumed by the yeast (the oxygen element anyway). At the same time, the yeast will be producing both alcohol and CO2. The CO2 will slowly come out of solution and as it's heavier than air, blanket the liquid/gas interface and push the air out.

While using air/O2 so late isn't encouraged, it's less (much less) of an issue than with wines and beers......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns