PDA

View Full Version : Use Birch ash as ph adjustment?

pedroblom
01-08-2016, 03:18 AM
Hi.

I'm a mead newbie from Sweden.
In the forums I read about using potassium bicarbonate for ph adjustment.

I just can't find any place to buy that stuff here. The nearest thing is natrium bicarbonate. Can I use this instead

Or can I use Birch ash? I use Birch ash to lower the ph in my body. You boil Birch ash with water, let it cool and filter it. Then you keep it in the fridge and use 15ml in a glass of water.

I was thinking I could use this to adjust the ph. Have anyone tried?

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

pwizard
01-08-2016, 10:57 PM
I've never heard of using Birch ash before but I've also never had a problem with PH before. Are you sure your mead actually needs a PH adjustment? If it's fermenting properly, just continue to take care of it (degas/step feed as necessary) and don't worry about the PH unless your yeast slows down or stops before the right time.

willowhix
01-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Hi.

I just can't find any place to buy that stuff here. The nearest thing is natrium bicarbonate. Can I use this instead

Or can I use Birch ash? I use Birch ash to lower the ph in my body. You boil Birch ash with water, let it cool and filter it. Then you keep it in the fridge and use 15ml in a glass of water.

I'm not exactly sure what the ash looks, smells and tastes like after boiling and filtering but my assumption would be that anything "ashy" wouldn't have a great impact on the taste of your mead. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean you use it to lower the pH of your body? As in a substitute for bicarbonate of soda?

joemirando
01-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Hi.

You can use natrium (sodium) bicarbonate, but using too much of it can result in a metallic taste. I have used it and found it to be less effective than potassium bicarb, but it will work.

And one small point: It will raise the pH, not lower it. The lower the pH, the more acidic. I am guessing that you meant the opposite when you said you used birch ash to lower the pH in your body.

Again, if you have access to sodium (natrium) bicarb, use small amounts and taste it along with checking the pH. I would recommend no more than 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to begin with.

Others may chime in with their thoughts/experiences and I, as always, would take their opinions over mine, as most of these folks have forgotten more about making mead than I currently know. ;)

Be well,

Joe

pedroblom
01-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Hi Joe, Thank you for your answer.

Yes I mean the opposite. I mean to raise the ph.

pedroblom
01-10-2016, 05:18 AM
I've never heard of using Birch ash before but I've also never had a problem with PH before. Are you sure your mead actually needs a PH adjustment? If it's fermenting properly, just continue to take care of it (degas/step feed as necessary) and don't worry about the PH unless your yeast slows down or stops before the right time.
Thank you for your answer.
I haven't even started the batch yet. But I want to be prepared if it turns out I need to unjust the ph. And to have the right stuff ready.

Hi.

pedroblom
01-10-2016, 05:20 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the ash looks, smells and tastes like after boiling and filtering but my assumption would be that anything "ashy" wouldn't have a great impact on the taste of your mead. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean you use it to lower the pH of your body? As in a substitute for bicarbonate of soda?
Thank you for your answer.
Yes. It's common in Finland and Sweden to use Birch ash to get a higher ph in your body. Just as you could use bicarbonate.

pedroblom
01-11-2016, 06:00 AM
Found this om wikipedia
It looks like Potassium_carbonat originally was made from Pot ash:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_carbonate

Potassium carbonate was first identified in 1742 by Antonio Campanella and is the primary component of potash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potash

The old method of making potassium carbonate (K
2CO was by collecting or producing wood ash (an occupation carried out by ash burners), leaching the ashes and then evaporating the resulting solution in large iron pots, leaving a white residue called "pot ash".

And potassium carbonate in swedish is Kaliumkarbonat.