• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3 gallon Lalleman Abbaye Cyser BOMM fails to start ferment

Barrel Char Wood Products

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
On January 12, I made up a 3 gallon batch of Cyser BOMM using Lallemand Abbaye yeast. Just scaled up by 3X the 1 gallon Cyser BOMM recipe and used Abbaye yeast instead of Wyeast 1388. Have successfully made a 1 gallon Abbaye Cyser BOMM previously.

The O.G. was 1.092. Rehydrated yeast using Go Ferm protocol. Room temperature = 65 F

Degassed every day.

1/13 S.G. = 1.092
1/14 1.092
1/15 1.086
1/16 1.086

This appears to be a failure to start fermentation. EDIT - can see a small amount of CO2 generation (bubbles rising to the top).

Is it time to pitch another packet of Abbaye yeast? Should I just use the Lallemand Abbaye yeast rehydration instructions this time?

Last edited:

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
No, did not check pH. BOMM recipe includes potassium carbonate dosage to adjust pH.

Yes, did temper the rehydrated yeast over a 30 minute period to get withing 10 degree F of the must temperarure.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yes I also use the potassium as well. I just thought maybe that was one place to double check again. :)

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
All I have is pH strips and have not had great success testing colored musts with them previously. But, will give it a try next time I I check the SG.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Before moving the carboy to a slightly warmer climate this morning I checked the S.G. It had decreased 12 points since yesterday to 1.074. The ferment is finally taking off.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns