PDA

View Full Version : JAO BOMM tasting notes

Maylar
01-23-2016, 07:55 PM
I made my first mead back in July-August. It was a JAOM with wildflower honey. We cracked it open on Thanksgiving (2 months aged) and Christmas and it was a huge hit even though it was young. I wanted more but didn't want to wait 8 months for it to peak, so I decided to try the BOMM version.

I started the JAO BOMM the first week of December. Racked it off the fruit just after Christmas and have been letting it clear (forcing it, actually) for the last month. Today I took a taste (drinking some now in fact), and I'm not liking this at all. I dunno if I did something wrong, but it's absolutely nothing like the JAOM that I made before.

It's hard to describe the taste. I get no orange or clove, and no hint of honey. It has a strange aroma that's not in my experience to categorize. I want to say it's sort of medicinal. Not icky, but certainly not what I was expecting.

The recipe was gleaned from the big BOMM thread on HomeBrewTalk. I may have interpolated a bit, combining some of the general BOMM info with the JAO organic stuff, but I don't think it should really matter. Here's what I did (1 gallon batch) -

3.5 lb orange blossom honey + a bit of wildflower
Peels and fruit of 1 small orange (removed pith)
25 raisins
cup dried currants
The stem of 1 clove
cinnamon stick
1/8 whole nutmeg
1 allspice berry
TSP Potassium Bicarbonate (Should be 1/6 TSP!)
Smack Pack Wyeast 1388 smacked overnight
1 TBSP Fermaid-O

O.G. 1.132 Day 0, Sat 12/5
Day 2 = 1.11
Day 3 = 1.10
Day 7 = 1.082 added 1 TBSP Fermaid-O
Day 14 = 1.040, added 1 vanilla bean and airlock
Day 22 Racked to secondary, still bubbling slowly, FG 1.025
Day 24 Put outdoors in the cold, approx 35F
Day 28 - added some pectic enzyme
Day 44 - added 1/5th package of SuperKleer. Had to do some creative engineering to split that up.
Day 51 - now - SG 1.022, ABV about 14.4%

OK, so this version has allspice, vanilla and nutmeg that the JAOM doesn't. But I don't get how this could be equivalent to a JAOM that's 8 months old.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1512/24197135749_ed05813b32_z.jpg

loveofrose
01-23-2016, 08:38 PM
It's the superkleer. I know exactly what taste you are talking about. If you don't let every drop of superkleer fall out, it has that medicinal flavor.

I actually don't suggest pectinase, Fermaid o or superkleer for this recipe. Superkleer will strip a lot of the orange flavor out. Changing the recipe does matter!

I'm always learning and tweeking recipes. If you want the most up to date recipes, look on my site:

www.denardbrewing.com

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Maylar
01-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Well, balls. I should've inquired here first. Will that dissipate, or is this a dumper?

loveofrose
01-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Cold crash it for a few weeks, then rack. It should improve dramatically.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html