PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Grape Mead Question

NeilV
01-24-2016, 01:37 PM
As one of my first batches of mead, I started a Joe's Grape mead. I followed the recipe, except I multiplied everything by 6 (except the yeast, which I doubled). The fermentation process took a little longer to get rolling than the other 2 meads I've made. However, by day 3 it was rolling along with a very fast ferment and it kept going strong for about a week then tapered off to zero airlock activity.
It has been 14 days since I started it. When I started, the gravity was about 1.09. (I had a hard time getting a precise reading, because I used a blender to aerate grape juice and it was frothy.) The airlock is not bubbling now. I checked the gravity today and it was 1.002. I understood that this should go to completely dry before I stabilize and back-sweeten. I thought that would mean a gravity of 1.000 or below.

Questions:

1. Is it likely that this is still fermenting a little and I just need to give it another week or so?

2. If not, is this stuck, and, if it is stuck, should I just not worry about it and a little less honey and grape juice when I back-sweeten it?

3. I have a one once package of dark American oak chips that I was thinking about steaming and throwing in the primary if I'm going to wait another week anyway. Does that sound like a good or bad idea?

FWIW, I took a taste, and, except for being a little too grapey and tingly from carbonation, this is going to taste good when aged a little while. Actually, I think it would be fine without backsweetening at all.

Thanks

bmwr75
01-24-2016, 03:18 PM
1.002 is essentially completely dry. Your ferment is not stuck.

When you backsweeten, the ferment may restart unless you stabilize first with 1/8 teaspoon k-meta and 1/4 teaspoon k-sorbate.

NeilV
02-09-2016, 07:50 PM
You were correct. I waited another week, and the SG was 1.000. I stabilized and back-sweetened, and a week later it's already tasty. I will wait another week or so and then bottle.