• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

airlock activity following de-gas

Barrel Char Wood Products

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Briefly, I am at 6 1/2 days since yeast pitch. "Traditional"
D-47
Temp maintained at 64F
OG 1.085
SG 9am today 1.038

I have been de-gassing 3 times per day, and the last couple days I've been getting less and less carbon dioxide.
I was originally using the end of a spoon and stirring vigorously (for too long), but have been using a swirling technique (2.25 gallons of must in 3 gal carboy so it's light enough) for several days now and exhausting much more CO2 using this technique.

After de-gas it takes a couple hours before airlock activity is regular, and this recovery period extends longer each day with slower activity upon recovery.
1) Is this normal?

2) Is the swirling technique as good as vigorous stirring (perhaps too much agitation)

3) Does my current gravity 1.038 seem on track in the 6th day?

Thanks, TK

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yes. I believe you are doing fine also. You will continue to see less and less airlock activity as you wind down your ferment. You really should forget about counting bubbles and rely on you hydrometer. That's all that really counts. At this point you could degas once a day and be just fine.

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Yes. I believe you are doing fine also. You will continue to see less and less airlock activity as you wind down your ferment. You really should forget about counting bubbles and rely on you hydrometer. That's all that really counts. At this point you could degas once a day and be just fine.

Appreciate it Squachy
I have been taking gravity every other day, and planed on taking one daily from now on!

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Glad someone else asked this :)

Was getting a little concerned about this too.

I only have 1 gallon demijohns so I just pick them up and shake the hell out of them. Then use a food saver vacuum to really force out any extra CO2 I can. Highly recommend the vacuum! Soon as it starts sucking out the air you can see all the tiny little CO2 bubbles rising from the must.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns