PDA

View Full Version : How long for JAOM to clear?

AlwaysWaven
01-30-2016, 12:43 PM
After successfully making a 1 gallon batch, I made a 5 gallon batch. Last Sunday, I racked it from the bucket to a carboy. When I was done I realized that it was not a golden yellow but rather a brown color. It has remained that color for almost a week. I sterilized everything before I racked and there was nothing out of the ordinary during the process. I just do not remember the first batch doing this.

Maylar
01-30-2016, 02:51 PM
How long has it been fermenting? Did the fruit drop?

AlwaysWaven
01-30-2016, 04:45 PM
A week or so after it called for, and yes the fruit dropped.

Maylar
01-31-2016, 11:08 AM
I've only made a couple of these, and the color wasn't the same between batches. I'm guessing that the variety of honey makes a difference. My wildflower batch was darker than the orange blossom that I have clearing now. Hopefully someone more experienced will tell us for sure...

Wildflower JAOM at 70 days:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5785/20742966783_4c880de2cf_z.jpg

Orange Blossom JAO BOMM taking its sweet time to clear:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1545/24636813181_815629c720_z.jpg

Squatchy
01-31-2016, 12:00 PM
I have had some batches clear with in a couple of weeks, and others just would not clear on their own without some help

AlwaysWaven
01-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Ok, I guess the color was more my concern than the clearness. After looking at your pictures, I guess I am good to start bottling.

EDIT - was trying to post a picture but whatever size I make it the site still says it is too big.

mannye
02-28-2016, 07:09 PM
I find after multiple jaom batches of both 1 and 5 gallons that 100 days is the minimum for achieving good jaom with no rocket fuel aftertaste. It can go clear after only 30 days and the fruit can drop in as little as 40 but the golden nectar is better after 100 days. Twice as good at 200 days and really really good after a year. Of course, once the fruit drops I transfer to another carboy and then once again after it goes clear and drops another small layer of lees.

Squatchy
02-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Ok, I guess the color was more my concern than the clearness. After looking at your pictures, I guess I am good to start bottling.

EDIT - was trying to post a picture but whatever size I make it the site still says it is too big.

I wouldn't bottle this for several months more! Just sayin

Wingnut
02-29-2016, 12:32 AM
After successfully making a 1 gallon batch, I made a 5 gallon batch. Last Sunday, I racked it from the bucket to a carboy. When I was done I realized that it was not a golden yellow but rather a brown color. It has remained that color for almost a week. I sterilized everything before I racked and there was nothing out of the ordinary during the process. I just do not remember the first batch doing this.

Did you try chilling it? Sometimes here at my house either a cooler temp or a pretty significant change in barometric pressure will clear a mead or beer. Not always. I have a Saison that has been racked three times and we have had some really bizarre weather with temp and baro swings but it refuses to settle out.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

EbonHawk
02-29-2016, 12:20 PM

I sometimes have to load up a pic into a decent photo editing program like GIMP and rescale and compress it, then export it again. After doing that on a few occasions it's not as difficult as it sounds.