• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fruit Melomel question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Blackegg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2016
I'm starting a blueberry Melomel today, 5 gallons. I'm going to start the must and let it sit until tomorrow to pitch the yeast. ( EC-1118 )
My main question is to bag the fruit in the main ferment or to place it freely into the must. What are the pro's and con's of either? (Fruit is frozen, whole fresh berries)
Another questions is should all of the fruit be placed into the main ferment or should it be split and some added to the first rack?
I'm sure these are all options and can be done either way, but this being my first batch, any opinions from the meadsters will be appreciated.

Forgive me if this has been addressed prior. I've searched the forum and couldn't really find any answers.
Thank you for any input!

~blackegg
Ps - first post. Thanks for the great, informative site. I'm sure I'll become a regular

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Welcome to the addiction!

So if you add any fruit up front it taste a good bit different than does the fresh. Think grape juice/wine. Same in this game as well.
If you add all your fruit after fermentation is over you will get the fresh fruit/jammy profile from the fruit.
You will need to add more if you only add it into the primary to end up with a good presence. Some fruit are much more delicate than others. SO you would have to add accordingly. For instance, strawberries or pears are easy to wash over because they are so delicate.

I personally like (for the most part) to add fruit in both primary and secondary. That way I have a good fruit base and complexity from the primary,, and then can add some fresh fruit profile after. If I'm making a light summer drinker I usually just add tones up front.

If would say to experiment with your must so you can find out what you like the best. Make one batch with fruit only up front, one all fruit on the back side, and lastly a blend. You can do this tomorrow with the must you made today. That's really the way to know the differences.

Blackegg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2016
I did end up putting in a bag and used all of the fruit in the main ferment. I made an extra gallon and I'll add fruit to the secondary in the smaller batch to see the difference.

Thanks for the inputs.

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
One caveat to using fruit up front. I generally don't use fresh fruit because of the possibility of introducing wild organisms. Unless of course I freeze that fruit completely for at least 3 or 4 days and then I will go ahead and put it in the primary. That way I'm pretty certain at least most of the organisms in it have been killed off and the dominant culture will be my yeast. Not all organisms are killed off by freezing though, so beware. Adding fruit in the secondary I'm not so concerned because of the alcohol level that's already been built up.

Blackegg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2016
These berries were frozen for quite some time.
Thanks for the info Mazer.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns