PDA

View Full Version : small batch, big primary fermenter

willowhix
01-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Hey guys. I've just racked my first batch of mead into it's secondary fermenter and so my 8 gallon fermenting bucket is now free. I figure I have enough honey left over for a 1 gallon batch of melomel, but is the bucket going to be too big for that? I know oxidation shouldn't be a problem in primary fermentation but there is going to be many times as much headspace as the space the must takes up.

Alternatively, I could just use the 1 gallon glass carboy I was planning on using for secondary, but I'd have to go get another one in that case and it would mean I wouldn't have much space at all for fruit in the primary.

Thanks in advance folks!

Mazer828
01-31-2016, 03:51 PM
The amount of gas that comes off one gallon of fermenting liquid that should be plenty to purge the oxygen out of that 8 gallon bucket. And besides carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen. And in the beginning it's not a bad thing to have some oxygen available during primary so that your yeast stay happy. I don't see this is being a bad idea at all.

willowhix
01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
The amount of gas that comes off one gallon of fermenting liquid that should be plenty to purge the oxygen out of that 8 gallon bucket. And besides carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen. And in the beginning it's not a bad thing to have some oxygen available during primary so that your yeast stay happy. I don't see this is being a bad idea at all.

Thanks man! Just needed a bit of confirmation. I'm having a lot of fun thinking of what to do with this batch. :)

Medsen Fey
01-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Size matters. :)
And bigger is better, especially when it comes to primary fermenters.
You can do a 1 gallon batch in an 8 gallon bucket without problems. The layering of CO2 is pretty much urban legend, but even with an open fermenter, you won't oxidize a mead during primary fermentation so have no fears.

gunit00
02-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Size matters. :)
And bigger is better, especially when it comes to primary fermenters.
You can do a 1 gallon batch in an 8 gallon bucket without problems. The layering of CO2 is pretty much urban legend, but even with an open fermenter, you won't oxidize a mead during primary fermentation so have no fears.
Now that's settled, when is the best time to rack into secondary fermentors?

Mazer828
02-01-2016, 01:01 AM
I don't know about the whole urban legend thing! Lol. It's a scientific fact that CO2 is heavier than oxygen. It's also a scientific fact that there is no wind inside a carboy. So CO2 rises from the must, and the rest is simple physics.

Medsen Fey
02-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Although CO2 is denser than O2, under usual conditions, any gas in an enclosed space will spread out to fill the entire space and won't remain layered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazer828
02-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Whether that is true or not, if carbon dioxide production is taking place, it's inarguable that it is constantly replacing some of the oxygen present, and after a short time any remaining oxygen would be insignificant.