PDA

View Full Version : Raisins for mouthfeel

Ghost99
02-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi Folks,

I've recently capped a couple gallons of metheglin made from tasmanian leatherwood honey that I started about two months ago. I'd like to start bulk aging it, but have noticed it's become quite watery tasting. It's OG was 1.082 and it ended up at about 1.010. It tasted great up until now, but it's basically just feeling like slightly flavoured water with some spice additions at this point. (although smells fantastic)

I've read online that the addition of a handful of raisins can improve the overall mouthfeel of the mead, even at this point, without taking on any additional sweetness or raisin flavour. Does anyone have any experience with this technique?

Thanks!

Mazer828
02-10-2016, 12:04 PM
My gut reaction would be to add oak at this point. So much roundness and complexity and balance to be gained. Not so sure about what raisins might contribute at this point in the ferment other than raisin flavor.

Medsen Fey
02-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Raisins can add body, but will also add raisin flavors (can be good or not depending on what you want).

A product like biolees can also build mouthfeel. Oak can certainly add some. Lees aging can do it. Other additives such as gum arabic, glycerin, and tannins may add to mouthfeel. However, before adding anything other than a bit of oak , you may want to let it age for a few months. Aging alone can see a mead develop more body.