PDA

View Full Version : Bottle position during storage

mrngbear
02-12-2016, 06:11 PM
The corks I purchased are of a "natural granules" type called neutrocork. I'm trying to determine the proper bottle position during storage. I have sent numerous emails to the mfg. 'Amorim' in Portugal and have received no replies.

On this website http://www.portocork.com/pdf/POR_Neutro_SH.pdf it states that "after bottling, keep wine upright for a minimum of 5-10 minutes...then later it states "Bottles should always be kept in upright position"
I contacted 'Portocork' in California (US distributor) and they were unsure of the mfg. recommendations, but would contact them and then let me know what they recommend.

This was weeks ago with no further contact so, I was wondering if some of you great mazers out there might look at the product on the website and just offer an opinion as to what your thoughts would be on storage.

Bottling is still far down the road, but I am considering ordering different closures, and just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks

mrngbear
02-12-2016, 10:11 PM
I thought this might be a tough one to get any kind of committed opinion on, even though I wouldn't hold anyone to it. Might be a good experiment. Say I get 12 750ml bottles out of approximately 3 gallons...I keep one upright, one horizontal, one at a forty five degree angle (cork up) one upside down, and drink the remaining eight.
I'll post my results at the conclusion.

Farmboyc
02-12-2016, 11:06 PM
I kinda thought you needed to store the bottles on their sides at least for long term. Otherwise the corks dry out if they have no contact with liquid.

I have had commercial ial wines where the corks crumbled and would not pull well or were stuck hard. Thought it was because they were stored vertical for extended period of time. Never noticed off tastes in the wine though.

mrngbear
02-13-2016, 12:27 AM
I kinda thought you needed to store the bottles on their sides at least for long term. Otherwise the corks dry out if they have no contact with liquid.

I have had commercial ial wines where the corks crumbled and would not pull well or were stuck hard. Thought it was because they were stored vertical for extended period of time. Never noticed off tastes in the wine though.

My thoughts as well, though I truly have no idea. I am starting to think that the information on the Portocork site may be referring to transportation when it later says "Bottles must always be kept in upright position" because the heading is Storage and Transportation but.........................?

If anyone else can chime in on bottle storage when using an agglomerated closure I would appreciated your thoughts or experience.

58limited
02-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Regardless of the cork, and I've used several varieties, I leave upright for three days after bottling to allow the corks to seat and then store with the bottles on their sides.

mrngbear
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Regardless of the cork, and I've used several varieties, I leave upright for three days after bottling to allow the corks to seat and then store with the bottles on their sides.

Thanks 58limited! by the way nice mopar do you own it? If its an olds my apologies LOL, hard to see in that tiny pic.

mrngbear
02-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Thanks 58limited! by the way nice mopar do you own it? If its an olds my apologies LOL, hard to see in that tiny pic.

Nice Buick! And I thought I knew classic cars...must be these aging eyes.