PDA

View Full Version : Super Kleer

Botanyboy
02-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Raspberry Melomel:
24# of wildflower honey (no boil)
energizer/nutrient
d-47

Fermented in the primary for about 10 days, and racked into my carboy on top of a can of organic raspberry puree.
I'm now 2.5 months into my 5 gallon carboy, and the airlock (floating tube) seems to have lost pressure after I racked it off the lees(2 weeks ago).
I see no activity in the carboy or airlock, so I'm wondering if its too early to add super kleer and bottle. Does putting the mead in fridge (for clearing) affect taste once it gets back to room temp?
BB

Botanyboy
02-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump OUCH that hurt ;)

Medsen Fey
02-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Clearing a mead may improve the tastes as some of the bitter protein/tannin/yeast elements drop out, whether by cold or by fining agents.

Before you bottle, what is the gravity now?

Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump OUCH that hurt ;)
B-Boy, if one thing is for certain, instant gratification is not to be found in mead crafting.

Botanyboy
02-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Clearing a mead may improve the tastes as some of the bitter protein/tannin/yeast elements drop out, whether by cold or by fining agents.

Before you bottle, what is the gravity now?

B-Boy, if one thing is for certain, instant gratification is not to be found in mead crafting.

So my mead has been aging for 2.5 months. I'm not seeing any airlock activity or bubbles rising . I need a new hygrometer . Should I just leave it a few more months ?

Medsen Fey
02-13-2016, 08:59 PM
A new hydrometer is what you need before you start bottling unless you just want to live dangerously.

mannye
02-14-2016, 02:06 AM
So my mead has been aging for 2.5 months. I'm not seeing any airlock activity or bubbles rising . I need a new hygrometer . Should I just leave it a few more months ?

Dude... relax. You seem to be doing everything correctly. Have you tasted the stuff? Take a little taste and see what's what. Get a new hydrometer. If it reads 1.000 you should wait a month but preferably two and take another reading. if after 8 weeks it hasn't moved, then you're OK to bottle.

As for Super Kleer... I am one of the most "vocal" (if you can call it that on a text based forum) proponents of this miracle substance. It clears even the most stubborn mead and it does it practically overnight. Here's the thing though... you haven't waited long enough to be needing SK... leave it a few more months to bulk age then, once you like what you taste, you can bottle. If you bottle too soon you will have uneven aging (which will happen anyway one you bottle) so chill for a few months and let it mellow.

Then (and this is the way I do it...other do it differently) you cold crash for a week, rack, super kleer and crash for another week, rack into a filter (1 micron) and NOW you bottle crystal clear golden nectar into bottles.

Maylar
02-14-2016, 11:02 AM
As for Super Kleer... I am one of the most "vocal" (if you can call it that on a text based forum) proponents of this miracle substance. It clears even the most stubborn mead and it does it practically overnight.

I've used SuperKleer only once, and was not happy with the results. Yes, it did the job of clearing, but it also added an icky medicinal taste that took weeks to fall out. I won't be using it again.

As always, YMMV.

zpeckler
02-14-2016, 01:19 PM
I LOVE SuperKleer. Every mead I've used it on comes out so bright it practically sparkles. Haven't found any off flavors, but my usual protocol is to use it after at least 4 months bulk aging if the mead just isn't clearing. After that I age until it's at least 6 months old before I decide if it's ready to bottle or not. So there's at least 2 months aging time after the SuperKleer before I'm tasting it, and maybe there is a bad taste that ages out.

Maylar
02-14-2016, 02:50 PM
It falls out if you cold crash it for a couple weeks. I used it on a JAO BOMM which the whole point of is a quick mead. The mead was done, but cloudy and I didn't want to wait months for it to clear so I tried super kleer. Cleared in a few days but tasted awful. It also took some of the orange flavor out. My application might not have been ideal, but I definitely have a "bad taste" about it.

Botanyboy
02-14-2016, 09:19 PM
These are definitely points to consider. I'm just going to hide the key to my meadery for a few months. :)

mihrcke
02-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Was that 24lbs honey in a 5 or 10 gallon batch? (Or other size?)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Botanyboy
02-15-2016, 08:36 AM
I have 2 5 gallon carboys. Sorry, I forgot to clarify hahaha.

On a side note, yesterday my airlock had no pressure, and today, it's got positive pressure.