PDA

View Full Version : Mead Never "takes off"

Crowing
02-15-2016, 04:18 AM
I've been mazing for over a year now, and I've never had a mead take off after pitching. I read about in every other thread, and I treat my yeast like royalty, but I never ever see signs of fermentation until at least 24 hours. Really annoying when people are talking about lag phase ending in mere hours.

zpeckler
02-15-2016, 08:26 AM
The yeast wake up when they want to. Depending in the strain and starting conditions in my must, sometimes my lag phase can go 12-24hrs. The final product is what counts, right?

Walk us through your typical process.

Exactly how do you rehydrate?
What do you use for nutrients, how much, and when?
Starting gravity?
Temperature of fermentation?
pH?
Aeration/oxygenation?
Any and all other details...

pwizard
02-15-2016, 08:54 AM
I've been having the same problem with my current batch. My previous batch took off like a rocket and stayed fast until it ran its course, but my current one is just sputtering along. It hasn't stalled, but so far it is dropping only 0.010 points a day , which isn't much at all.

I'm going to drop by my LHBS tomorrow (closed today) and get something to check my PH and something to remedy that if need be.

bmwr75
02-15-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't find it unusual to have a 24 hour lag phase.

Stasis
02-15-2016, 10:31 AM
I think temperature is a huge factor for lag phase. I used to sprinkle Young's or Gervin yeasts on 30C musts (I have no choice during wine season) and they would take off after 4 hours. Tried Lalvin yeasts with go ferm protect evolution and attention to all detail for 15C musts and it's taking 24 hours

Mazer828
02-15-2016, 10:51 AM
I've been mazing for over a year now, and I've never had a mead take off after pitching. I read about in every other thread, and I treat my yeast like royalty, but I never ever see signs of fermentation until at least 24 hours. Really annoying when people are talking about lag phase ending in mere hours.
You didn't mention the strain(s) of yeast you have been using. Some are more energetic coming out of the gate than others.

WVMJack
02-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Why is it a problem? Some people think low and slow is good for mead and cider and wines just like for cooking BBQ, it doesnt have to take off like a rocket, there really is no advantage in that, if your ferments are turning out ok be happy with it only taking 24 hours to 48 hours. If you proof your yeast in GoFerm and know its alive the let it take its own course, Patience. Sometimes you see in those fast take off threads their next post is why is my mead stinking like rotten eggs. It also doesnt have to get finished in a week either, or clear in 2 weeks, or be ready to bottle in 4 weeks. Depending on so many variables such as your temp, the recipe etc. WVMJ

Wingnut
02-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Sometimes mine will take off in a couple of hours, sometimes it will take a day or so. Never had a lag phase quite as fast as a few hours.
I see more of a variation in yeast activity from barometric changes during the winter here. It will be gurgling away and a big Pacific storm will blow in and slow it right down. My current batch is just slow as Moses. Slowest ever. Going on 2 months but a steady active bubbling.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Crowing
02-16-2016, 05:48 AM
Well my most used yeast is d-47, but with 1118 and wyeast 1388 I've never seen them take off, standard rehydration in Goferm for the dry yeasts and leave smack packs for 24 hours. Honestly fleischmanns has been the shortest lag phase I've had in jaoms.
I guess I just want to see a quick start sometime, I'm already waiting eons for the stuff to clear and turn drinkable so I just want one thing about it to be fast, little as it matters.

loveofrose
02-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Smack packs are best after 2 hours. Longer than that and the yeast use up the nutrients and go dormant.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html