PDA

View Full Version : Barrel aged melomel

Hillside Heathen
02-15-2016, 12:04 PM
What do you guys think about taking a 6 gal batch and aging it in an oak barrel with raspberries in a muslin bag for approx 3 months, then rack to a clean carboy or just bottle it?
The batch is 15lbs bamboo honey, EC-1118, batch started on 23rd Jan 2016, airlock activity has gone to one bubble every 30 seconds so I racked to a clean carboy on 14th Feb. where it seems to have slowed down even more. Im thinking of barrel aging this in a 20 liter American White oak barrel and possibly throwing in some fruit like raspberries or maybe something different, Im not sure yet. what do you guys think?

Also, before I racked it I took a gravity reading which oddly was 0.996 / 0.998 it was hard to tell but it was well below 1.0 and is still fermenting. However I think its because I didnt dissolve all the honey into the water when I started...

Mazer828
02-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Wouldn't recommend leaving fruit in that long. It will very possibly taste more like vegetables than raspberries. Two weeks, then get the fruit out, then barrel age to your heart's content.

Squatchy
02-15-2016, 03:45 PM
It might be finished fermenting and is just degassing itself.