PDA

View Full Version : Question on racking after primary fermentation

Dangerzone
02-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I just racked my first batch of 5 gallon mead into 5 separate glass carboys. Each has some yeast accumulated at the bottom of them, is this normal or did I not rack it right? I dont want the flavor off by dead yeast. Should I do a second rack to fix this? if so, when? Thank you!

zpeckler
02-15-2016, 09:12 PM
How long has it been since you did the racking? Maybe you sucked up a little yeast while you were racking, maybe more yeast is settling out. In any case, you'll have to rack again at some point once the mead is clearer.

What yeast did you use? With the notable exception of 71B, with most of the other common strains it's ok if the mead sits on the lees for a few weeks.

zpeckler
02-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Also, how come you racked into gallon jugs instead of another 5gal carboy? Experimenting with different additions?

bmwr75
02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
it is normal. You will need to rack again......or be really careful when bottling to not stir up the settled lees. Racking again would be my choice.

pwizard
02-15-2016, 11:39 PM
The problem with racking is you lose a bit of mead each time because you can't go all the way to the bottom (or you will siphon up all the crap too, which kind of defeats the purpose). 1 gallon jugs are especially losssy-- I speak from experience. It's really easy to end up with 75% (or less) of what you had originally if you rack too much. That's why I wait until my mead is nearly clear before I rack out of a big carboy into smaller jugs for bulk storage/oaking/aging until I bottle. Unless you're using 71B, don't worry about sediment. Even if you got it perfectly clean now, more would just drop out as the mead clears.

Dangerzone
02-16-2016, 09:01 AM
I am experimenting with various tastes, thus the separate carboys. I did use the Lalvin 71B. I started primary fermentation in January and did the first rack last week.

What yeast do you all use if not 71B? I did a fair amount of reading before starting and have not read anything but good stuff about it?

bmwr75
02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I've used Fleischmann's bread yeast, Wyeast 1388, Lallemand CBC-1 and Lallemand Abbaye so far.

zpeckler
02-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Oh 71B is a fine yeast. It's the go-to yeast for many excellent award-winning meaderies. You just have to be cognizant that if left on the lees for more than a couple weeks it'll give you off-flavors.

Mazer828
02-16-2016, 10:46 AM
I keep hearing good things about D47 too, but it just hasn't performed well for me. 71B-1122 has been steadfast for the most part, other than a recent throwing of sulfur in a traditional short mead. Different thread. Sorry.

Maylar
02-16-2016, 02:24 PM
I think a lot of people are overly paranoid about 71B. Autolysis takes a long time to happen.

Squatchy
02-16-2016, 04:00 PM
I think a lot of people are overly paranoid about 71B. Autolysis takes a long time to happen.

I totally agree with you. Especially if you stir every day or every other to keep everything up in suspension.

I have many times wondered how much of we as a community hold fast to things we have heard rather than have personally experienced.

I'm sorry to say I believe that surely the world must be flat around here!

Dangerzone
02-16-2016, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with you. Especially if you stir every day or every other to keep everything up in suspension.

I have many times wondered how much of we as a community hold fast to things we have heard rather than have personally experienced.

I'm sorry to say I believe that surely the world must be flat around here!

You can stir your mead in secondary ferment? This is new to me, do you just give the carboy a few good whirls?

So do i rack again after its all clear or near clear?