PDA

View Full Version : Barely afforable any more

UUMeader
02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
The cost of honey is rising too fast. Ten years ago, a five gallon batch was a small luxury (maybe a bit more than a batch of wine). Now it's becoming a real luxury. In another ten years it'll be too rich for my blood.

Moreover, because the prices have gone nuts, I'm less likely to believe that the 5lb containers available all over the place are 100% honey.

Wayland
02-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Like most small scale craft industries people are starting to realise that their time and work is worth something.

I used to be grateful that I could earn 50 a day doing something I loved. Now I don't get up in the morning for less than 300 because I know I'm worth it.

No different for bee-keepers I'm guessing.

I used to brew stuff from anything I could afford when I was a student. Some of my best wine back then was made from jars of cheap jam and the yeast I washed off the rice I was going to cook.

Now when looking at ingredients or other stuff, I think to myself, how long would that take me to make and could I earn more money than it costs in that time.

If the answer is "yes" then I buy it. If the answer is "no" I don't. Simple choice really.

Squatchy
02-17-2016, 10:49 PM
The cost of honey is rising too fast. Ten years ago, a five gallon batch was a small luxury (maybe a bit more than a batch of wine). Now it's becoming a real luxury. In another ten years it'll be too rich for my blood.

Moreover, because the prices have gone nuts, I'm less likely to believe that the 5lb containers available all over the place are 100% honey.

I hear ya. One ting,,, if you know your honey provider at least you would know your buying real honey instead of imported honey from China or some other crap that is blended with HFCS or such.

beecarp
02-17-2016, 11:36 PM
You could always become a beekeeper. Just think of all the "free honey".

UUMeader
02-17-2016, 11:42 PM
I buy in bulk from a local distributor, but "local" doesn't mean what it used to. Locals can't keep them alive any more. Only the guys who are transporting around California and out in the big alfalfa fields are able to raid them.

zweefer
02-18-2016, 08:46 PM
I keep a modest amount of hives, and can tell you that at 20 a quart (3 lbs) I am not making a ton of money.
Back in the day, beekeeping was simpler, but with the arrival of varroa mites, small hive beetle, new regulations and permits, as well as general cost of my materials increasing, the price has had to come up.
As suggested, find a local source you trust, and maybe make a deal for bulk prices. I sell cheaper to some of my clients because they give me a bottle or two of their mead when it's done

If you are unsure of how to go about finding a local source, look for the beekeeper associations near you. Most counties or regions have them in my experience.

PHXMeadMeister
02-18-2016, 10:47 PM
I'm lucky that I have two big farmer's markets near me, so the question of "genuine" honey doesn't seem to be a problem. I just paid $25 for 5 lbs of raw honey and $28 for 5 lbs of orange blossom. I'm just starting out (I have 1 gallon of JAOM that I started on New Year's Eve) so I figure, as I'm only planning out a few more 1-gallon runs this year, that isn't a huge expense, relative to my income. Another nice thing about the JAOM was I already had all the other ingredients in my house.

EbonHawk
02-19-2016, 09:01 AM
I kinda doubt the price of honey will outstrip my ability to pay for it. Seeing as how it costs about $8 for a "combo meal" at Burger King, I figure I can skip eating out at fast food restaurants and repurpose that money for something with a much greater value.