PDA

View Full Version : Brewing with alkaline water

pwizard
02-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Every time I go to the market, I see various brands of bottled water that advertise high alkalinity ( PH 8.8 or more). It seems like that might be a good way to buffer PH in mead and prevent stalled ferments due to acidity issues. May even be preferable to lowering the PH with chemical additions, yet too much alkalinity might stress the yeast and defeat the purpose. Has anybody ever tried using some of this water in a batch? How did it go?

jwaldo
08-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Everything I have read seems to specify a Ph between between 3.7 and 4.6 for fermenting with yeast. I guess it would depend on the acidity of your honey or other adjuncts. I think I have heard that currants are very acidic. Anyway, I would think that a set of Ph indicator papers would be your friend.

I have not tried any of the high Ph waters in mead or otherwise. (I would be concerned that too high, which for me would indicate a lot of calcium, might give a mineral or salty taste - but this is just conjecture.)

Thanks,
Jim.

djsxxx
08-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Surely if the pH of water is above 7 then it already has some sort of additive... At least if you buffer the pH yourself you know what's been added to change the pH

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk