PDA

View Full Version : First Fermentation bucket without CO2 extractor

DocBurN
02-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Hi guys, pretty new around here i decided to craft my own blueberry mead.

I just came back from my brewing store and they were selling a pretty complete starter kit (i have nothing right now). I noticed there where no black rubber hole on the fermenting bucket, where you would normally plug your CO2 gas releaser thingy. I asked the owner, how are you suppose to let the CO2 out in the first fermentation stage ? He answered me something along the line as..

"Over the years, we have optimized our process and for a better result. Since the first stage of fermentation is more aggressive and the CO2 can't get all out fast enough through the CO2 extractor.. it goes back to the liquid. We just dont close the lid shut on the bucket, we let it sit at the top on the bucket loose without pushing it tight. Doing it this way, the CO2 is able to push out the lid just enough to exit the bucket and the oxygen don't get back in."

I have never heard of that technic and never read here someone not using the S-Shaped CO2 extractor on the first stage bucket fermentation.

Is it an ok way to go for real ?

Any input are welcome, sorry for grammar or choice of words, english is not my first language
Thank you very much for your time and help

Newbee DocBurN

Farmboyc
02-28-2016, 02:29 AM
That is what I do with my FV. Seems to work just fine for cider, mead, and beer.

Squatchy
02-28-2016, 02:32 AM
Hi Doc and welcome to the forums. By the way your english is perfect :)

Your store was telling you the truth. I think most of us here ferment in plastic buckets for a good part of the ferment. I do, as do everyone I know personally. I do however, place my bucket lid loosely on top of my bucket. This is important for 2 reasons. In the beginning your yeast like as much exposure to oxygen as they can get. It's also good to stir your must a couple times a day to allow the gasses to escape out of suspension as well as to keep your yeast up in suspension. At some point you will notice that things will slow down a good bit. At that point it's good to lock things up and use your airlock. But still stir every couple days or so, again to keep the yeast off the bottom.

JewishMonk
02-29-2016, 01:48 PM
For mead? Yeah that should be fine. It's not nearly as prone to oxidation as beer, and the airlock isn't really necessary until secondary anyway. My blackberry melomel fermented with just a cheesecloth covering the top and it was fine. Your only real concern at that point is fruit flies. Once it goes into secondary though, you'll need a hug and an airlock.
Edit: *jug Though you might need a hug anyway. Sometimes life is stressful.