PDA

View Full Version : Clarity help

Achtlaut
03-03-2016, 06:22 PM
So I made a show mead, (half gallon batch: 1.5lb wildflower honey, water and d47 yeast). Made it on 4Dec15. It's still pretty murky. I can't tell if it's cuz the honey was very dark to stay with but after cold crashing it is hard to see through (even with a very bright light). What can I do?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EbonHawk
03-03-2016, 09:24 PM
A lot of folks mention bentonite (a form of clay), and I also see sparkaloid or something like that. You can just do a search on the forums for clearing, clarifying, or fining agents. Should be pages full of discussions about which one(s) is(are) the best.

Here's a page I found that lists some different ones and what they do.
http://www.meadmadecomplicated.org/mead_making/chemicals/fining_agents.html

Apparently some agents are restricted from competitions, if you're wanting to enter yours into a competition. (I learned something new today; Awesome!!)

mihrcke
03-03-2016, 09:51 PM
I made my very first mead with D47. It was a 1 gallon batch with 3 lbs honey.

Made it 6 July, racked 8 Aug 2015, then racked again 12 Oct. I was upset/frustrated cuz it wasn't clearing...covered it up with a towel and forgot about it. 8 Jan 2016 it was crystal clear on it's own...looks polished.

Put it in a cabinet and forget about it...check in 3 months.

pwizard
03-03-2016, 10:01 PM
So I made a show mead, (half gallon batch: 1.5lb wildflower honey, water and d47 yeast). Made it on 4Dec15. It's still pretty murky. I can't tell if it's cuz the honey was very dark to stay with but after cold crashing it is hard to see through (even with a very bright light). What can I do?

How many times have you racked? (with a half-gallon batch, hopefully not too many) From my experience, getting the mead off the yeast will help to clear it up.

Achtlaut
03-03-2016, 10:08 PM
How many times have you racked? (with a half-gallon batch, hopefully not too many) From my experience, getting the mead off the yeast will help to clear it up.
Only once, and since then I have almost no sediment at the bottom, only a faint ring of it

EbonHawk
03-04-2016, 01:03 AM
Usually, in my experience, that means they're not quite finished doing what they need to do. When they run out of sugar, they'll start dropping.

Mazer828
03-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Put it in a cool dark place and forget about it. I know it's easier said than done. But your best result really will come with time and patience.

EbonHawk
03-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Put it in a cool dark place and forget about it. I know it's easier said than done. But your best result really will come with time and patience.
Qft. It's been my tendency to leave things alone (forget about them) too. I oftentimes ferment for (forget about) long times, then rack to secondary (and forget about them) for ages. It is just my pure good fortune that this hobby rewards such abject laziness with such bountiful harvest. I'm in heaven already. :-)