PDA

View Full Version : Trying out some yeast

djsxxx
03-05-2016, 05:03 PM
So it seems being in the UK the yeast selection is fairly limited as far as I can tell, so thought I would just order a few and have a play:

Lalvin K1V-1116 - seen a few people on here use it so thought I'd try it

Mangrove Jack's Craft Series - M02 Cider Yeast

Mangrove Jack's Craft Series - M05 Mead Yeast

WYeast Activator 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale - only because of loveofrose and his amazing recipes

WYeast Activator 4184 - Sweet Mead

WYeast Activator 4632 - Dry Mead

Mangrove Jack's Craft Series - M27 Belgian Ale

Anyone used these? Other than the obvious ones...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

zpeckler
03-05-2016, 09:08 PM
What kind of style are you planning to make?

FWIW I'm incredibly enthusiastic about K1V for dry traditional meads.

With Wyeast 1388 you can make an infinite number of BOMMs. Check out www.denardbrewing.com for recipes.

djsxxx
03-06-2016, 04:44 AM
What kind of style are you planning to make?

FWIW I'm incredibly enthusiastic about K1V for dry traditional meads.

With Wyeast 1388 you can make an infinite number of BOMMs. Check out www.denardbrewing.com for recipes.
I'm not really after any particular style, just looking for a yeast that does the job quickly and efficiently

Mazer828
03-06-2016, 10:18 AM
I love wyeast 4632. If that's one of your easily available options, it produces good results. What I don't like about it is that it only comes in liquid form. The cell count is much lower than an active dry yeast packet, and the viability life is much shorter also.

If you're looking for a fast clean fermenter that just does the job reliably without any fuss, I recommend Lalvin EC-1118. It'll ferment pretty dry up to 18%.

Stay away from the wyeast sweet mead yeast. I've not personally used it, but I've heard nothing but troublesome reviews from others on this site.

zpeckler
03-06-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm not really after any particular style, just looking for a yeast that does the job quickly and efficiently

With WY1388 you can pretty much do anything you want to! Traditionals, melomels, methiglin... it seems like it works for just about any mead style people have used it in.

K1V is my favorite for dry traditionals. At temps of about 16C or above it ferments very clean. Below 16C it starts to make tons of floral esters, which you can use to compliment your mead if that's what taste dictates.

djsxxx
03-06-2016, 02:31 PM
I love wyeast 4632. If that's one of your easily available options, it produces good results. What I don't like about it is that it only comes in liquid form. The cell count is much lower than an active dry yeast packet, and the viability life is much shorter also.

If you're looking for a fast clean fermenter that just does the job reliably without any fuss, I recommend Lalvin EC-1118. It'll ferment pretty dry up to 18%.

Stay away from the wyeast sweet mead yeast. I've not personally used it, but I've heard nothing but troublesome reviews from others on this site.

I've got the wyeast sweet mead yeast coming anyway, so I'll let you know my thoughts on it.

Medsen Fey
03-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Wyeast sweet mead is notorius for stuck fermentations with beginners. It can make a good mead, but it needs pampering - good nutrition, aeration, pH control, temp management. Handled properly, it can give a consistent 11-12% ABV result.

djsxxx
03-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Wyeast sweet mead is notorius for stuck fermentations with beginners. It can make a good mead, but it needs pampering - good nutrition, aeration, pH control, temp management. Handled properly, it can give a consistent 11-12% ABV result.
Interesting...

I'm getting the hang of TOSNA so hopefully my nutrition plan will be ok.

I've just got myself a digital ph reader as well, only problem is I don't know what a good ph is. Need to do done research on it.

zpeckler
03-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I've just got myself a digital ph reader as well, only problem is I don't know what a good ph is. Need to do done research on it.

Generally around 3.20-4.00. Anything lower and the yeast can stall out. Anything higher and the mead can taste "flabby."

djsxxx
03-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Generally around 3.20-4.00. Anything lower and the yeast can stall out. Anything higher and the mead can taste "flabby."
Is flabby the technical term lol. Ok thanks for the info [emoji3]

Medsen Fey
03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
With the sweet mead yeast try to keep the pH above 3.4.

I don't think I'd use the TOSNA on it, because the only yeast I'm confident that can do well with that little nitrogen is 71B, and this particular wyeast strain is very very finicky. However, if you try the TOSNA with it, please keep a good log so we can see how it behaves.

djsxxx
03-29-2016, 09:33 AM
For those interested in the Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast 4184, here's my log - http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/25624-Wyeast-Sweet-Mead-4184