• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Best way to aerate in a carboy

Barrel Char Wood Products

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I'm going to start a 1-gallon mini-batch of blueberry mel this weekend. Most of the time, I do my primaries in a bucket, so aerating, feeding, and degassing is easy. However, this time I'll be using a jug and I'm not sure how people normally handle aeration with that kind of setup. Keep in mind I have no fancy pressurized gas/airstone gizmo, so I'll have to keep my methods low-tech.

I've already figured I'll have to sanitize my hydrometer equipment really well before I do gravity readings. I'll pour a bit of must off, measure it, and then pour it back in. I'd get some air into it during the pour, but it would likely be nowhere near enough to make a difference. I'm wondering if it will even be possible to get air into that jug, since during an active primary there is lots of outgassing and CO2 is heavier than air anyway. Should I just do my gravity checks/nutrient schedule and hope for the best? I figure I can degas by simply swirling the carboy. It will only be 2/3 to 3/4 full during primary to avoid overflows during feeding and to keep mead out of the airlock.

Last edited:

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Swirling is all I do for 1 gallon batches. Swirl over the sink without the airlock though...just in case.

I also keep everything in secondary containers. Small to large plastic storage containers work great. Once again...just in case.

I've had too many "doesn't look like its fermenting" turn into "oh shit! It just won't stop!"

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Out of curiosity, how do you aerate larger carboys? I imagine swirling a 3-gal or larger would be difficult, so you probably use one of those lees-stirrer things for degassing.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
Yeah, fermenting in a carboy is annoying. The lees stirrer with the fold-out plastic blades on the end doesn't fit in a carboy. Pretty much using anything mechanical or aerating with a stone/wand/pump has huge potential for s MEA unless you leave a ton of headspace. I much prefer buckets.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
My lees stirrer fits in all my carboys! You must be talking about 1 gallon jugs? My stirrer fits in my 3 through 25 gallon carboys

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Mine is close to that but just enough didn't that it works

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

theDREWery

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 3, 2014
Mt. Pleasant, MI
Got the same mixing rod and it fits in all my carboys. It is a tight squeeze tho, and I usually have to manually push the blades in.

For degassing, I usually tilt the carboy and swirl for several days before the drill comes out... I can still see where I had to mop the ceiling. :eek:

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Take a wire coat hanger, grab it by the hook and the middle of the long straight part and pull until it stretches out completely. Cut off the hook portion with a wire cutter. Stick the twisted portion that used to be the neck of the hanger into the chuck of a cordless drill. Sanitize the wire with a star San spay, and go for it. Just go slow at first to avoid the dreaded MEA.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
That's one of the better/simpler budget ideas I heard of Mazer828. At least by the sound of it. I'll give it a try someday

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
I made one with a plastic coat hanger...Cut the neck off both sides, straightened with a heat gun, and bent a short 1" 45 degree 'L' on one end. Works great!

I partially flattened the 1"- L, and drilled a couple holes in it.

Last edited:

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
One more question in this line. In a carboy do you have to aerate with a stone? Basically all that the Lee stirrer is doing in the relatively closed environment of a carboy is de-gasing right?

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
I made one with a plastic coat hanger...Cut the neck off both sides, straightened with a heat gun, and bent a short 1" 45 degree 'L' on one end. Works great!

I partially flattened the 1"- L, and drilled a couple holes in it.

Originally I considered making one from a metal coat hanger, but was concerned, since they are made from steel wire and most have a varnish coating (and if not coated could rust or possibly have some sort of reaction with the must)

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Originally I considered making one from a metal coat hanger, but was concerned, since they are made from steel wire and most have a varnish coating (and if not coated could rust or possibly have some sort of reaction with the must)
Nah, minimal contact time (no time for a reaction), and if you rinse it clean and dry it, it shouldn't be rusting.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Take a wire coat hanger, grab it by the hook and the middle of the long straight part and pull until it stretches out completely. Cut off the hook portion with a wire cutter. Stick the twisted portion that used to be the neck of the hanger into the chuck of a cordless drill. Sanitize the wire with a star San spay, and go for it. Just go slow at first to avoid the dreaded MEA.
Damn that's genius! Wish I had thought of that before spending £10 on a fancy degasser

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jdranchman

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oct 20, 2014
Centennial, CO
I only use better bottles so the generally available wine lees SS rod with plastic paddles fits just fine. I did get some 304 SS rod to see if I can fashion something that would work in glass carboys and gallon jugs (my current pressing need). If I can weld up something that works I'll post a pic. The initial design is just a "T" at the bottom or maybe a squished loop so it will cavitate lots when spun in a drill.

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Nah, minimal contact time (no time for a reaction), and if you rinse it clean and dry it, it shouldn't be rusting.

Of course, what was I thinking... and why do I even f***ing bother on this site! I just aint smart nuf to hang here!
no worries though!

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So here's one for ya. Home Depot and the like sells thick copper wire used to ground an electrical box outside of the house. In that state it is very bendy. So much so you wouldn't be able to use it far a stir stick. But I will teach how to stiffen it up to become very stiff. Attach one end to a fixed position with vise grips, vise, another person with pliers ect. Attach the other end to a drill. Place it centered in the chuck just like you would a drill bit and tighten it. Now spin it in the drill. The more you spin it up the tighter it will become and thus much stiffer. If you spin it super tight it will almost become as stiff as a steel rod.

Now you can bend it with a t at the end, make a tear dropped loop at the end. You can double it up so the to or loop follows the profile only doubled up, or how ever your heart's desire. You can now us it to stir and it will also help to remove sulphurous smells from your ferment if your yeast were a little bit offended at work :)

EvolvingCaveman

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oct 8, 2015
Conway,AR
I have done the copper wire trick and I would like to add that you can throw the copper wire rod in the oven for an hour to sterilize it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns