• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How much Potassium Bicarbonate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
I checked the Ph of my 19L batch this morning and found it had dropped to 3.2, which I believe is the bottom end of the yeasts limit before they become stressed.

I have some Potassium Bicarbonate already, but I have no idea how much to add to bring the Ph levels up.

Is there a formula or a way of working out how much to add per gallon/litre to raise the Ph say 1 point?

Also, once I have made the addition of Potassium Bicarbonate, how long does it take for the Ph levels to change?

Thanks in advanced!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Used to lower acidity levels in wine. 3.8 grams per gallon will reduce acidity by about .1%

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Remember that Squatchy is giving you the #'s for WINE and not mead. Mead has very little pH buffering and in my limited experience the pH moves more than wine.
I would suggest adding 1 tsp to your 19L and wait 12h and test. I way overshot on my first use and ended up with a pH of 6. The melomel lost most of its crispness and I ended up adding acid blend for balance.
Much more of a PITA than it needed to be.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Potassium bi/carbonate should be used carefully due to additions increading must/wine pH (by the inevitable presence of increased potassium ions). Bench testing may be conducted on samples to ensure that the desired level of deacidification does not cause a pH shift beyond acceptable levels.

Approximately 0.67 g of potassium*bicarbonate*is reported to practically reduce the TA by 1 g/l (2.53 g reduces 1 US gal. by TA of 0.1 %; 3.03 g reduces 1 Imperial gal. by TA of 0.1 %).
Approximately 0.92 g of potassium*carbonate\ is reported to practically reduce the TA by 1 g/l (3.49 g reduces 1 US gal. by TA of 0.1 %; 4.19 g reduces 1 Imperial gal. by TA of 0.1 %) and raises pH by between 0.2 to 0.25 units.

Either chemical is usually added to the entire batch, carbon dioxide is given off while the batch is well mixed, and cold stabilisation but should be used before cold stabilisation so that full precipitation is achieved.

www.brsquared.org/wine

Just found this. Kinda explain the influence on TA and pH.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Does anybody know the effectiveness rate for calcium carbonate (CaCO3)?
Hit the link in my previous post. It is included in the full article.

Personally I hate the stuff. It doesn't dissolve well and seems to take a few racking to get rid of. JM2C

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
After the addition of 1 tsp I checked Ph the following morning, it had only raise to 3.4

Added another 1 tsp so will check Ph tonight

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
That's high enough. Your right in the pocket now. I wouldn't add any more.

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Just checked and we are up to 3.7

SG this morning was 1.046 about 12 hours later, after additional potassium bicarbonate, SG down to 1.040

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So we have learned the adjustment takes a while. I would suggest next time to not add the second addition. .7 is to to low and opens the door some to the bad guys. At 3.2 it is still keeping the bad guys at bay. The further away from that the less effective at doing such

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
For what it's worth. Today my pH reading was 3.2. I added 2 teaspoons of KHCO3 which equaled 6 grams per teaspoon so a total of 12 gms. 10 hours later my pH equaled 3.99.

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
For what it's worth. Today my pH reading was 3.2. I added 2 teaspoons of KHCO3 which equaled 6 grams per teaspoon so a total of 12 gms. 10 hours later my pH equaled 3.99.
Your active fermentation should be long finished by now... One fermentation is complete you don't have to worry about pH because the yeast are done working. At this stage, make all acid or bicarb additions based on the taste of the mead, not numbers. If it tastes good, don't mess with it.

I would taste the mead now. Adding that much bicarb at this point can knock out the acidity that makes a mead taste refreshing and balances sweetness.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns