PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here

Victus
03-20-2016, 10:59 PM
I have a batch of Mead I made up about 6 months ago. The gravity was a little high at 1.26 to start.
I was unable to tend to this or check on it. Today I gave it a reading and it came in at 19.5 Brix (1.080FG).
I can't seem to get a proper reading with any of the online calculators.

Anyways. Should I try and ferment this more or is it toast?

Also sorry for the formatting, having to do this on my Phone.

Squatchy
03-20-2016, 11:11 PM
If you could tell us more we could help you better. Don't pitch it. Let's see if we can rescue it first. Unless it's infected we should be able to kick start it and get it going again. You should be around

loveofrose
03-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Ok. If what you say is true, you went from 1.260 to 1.080. That's 23.6% ABV! I need a full recipe before I can say anything at all!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Squatchy
03-21-2016, 12:30 AM
I read it at 1126 when I first read the post. :)

Funny how you turn things into what you're used to seeing sometimes and not see what it really is saying. I sound like a marriage counselor now LOL

GntlKnigt1
03-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Be interesting to hear what nutrients and yeast he used to even start fermentation at 1.26

hobbitfu
03-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Wow the ABV calculator on my app says 25.4%. Impressive for it to get that high untended. Be interested to know recipe and yeast used!

Victus
03-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Well, I almost didn't want to share that, just because it starts off with me being a dummy!

So, the "Initial" batch was made:
2L Water
3KG of NoName Brand Clover Honey

I went to take my SG and realized I used 6lbs and not 3. Was having a day.
Yeah.. I shook the crap out of it, and then realized what I had done. I ended up letting it sit for about a week.

At this point I cleaned another 1 Gallon Carboy and split it roughly in half. (Just eyeballed it. Precision!)

I topped up the remaining room with water, and then took my SG.

I used one pack Lalvin D-47 Yeast, split in half.
I made two starters of 120ml and a SG of 1.040
Each had 1/2TSP of Yeast Nutrient.

I let those run over night.

BA#1 - This one went fine
SG - 1.1
FG - 1.011

BA#2
SG 1.26
FG 1.080

After pitching they were both abandoned for 7 months.

zpeckler
03-21-2016, 03:27 PM
To get batch #2 less sweet you can always do exactly what you did with the original batch: split it in half and dilute the halves back up to a gallon. The yeast might wake up and get the gravity down a few more points. If not you could pitch a robust strain like EC-1118.

The potential drawback might that the flavors get diluted, but as it stands now it sounds like this batch is too sweet to drink so I guess anything is better than not getting to enjoy it.

hobbitfu
03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Must not have fully mixed if one half was that much higher gravity. Not an expert on here, but diluting the strong batch again as suggested above might be best. Don't think any yeast will ferment any further as is.

PapaScout
03-22-2016, 06:04 PM
So you now have a gallon of mead that's too dry and a gallon of mead that's too sweet? Sounds like a perfect time to mix them to taste.

Squatchy
03-22-2016, 09:15 PM
+1 what Papascout said.

Or. You could use the 1080. Just step it over to a batch you start with either fresh must, or water down only some of the high FG. Get something rolling and once it's running well just add portions of the 1080 over to the new batch that is up and running until you have moved over the high FG