• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Adding fruit to sack sweet mead recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products
R

Robert Blees

3426616279c1e298f194f33862303aa3.jpg
ok first off I'm making a strawberry kiwi melomel ! Started with 18 pounds of wildflower honey from California
S.g 1.120 is now at .998 after two weeks . About 15.7 %abv I added sorbistat k and potassium metabisulfite Somewhat pasteurized my fruit and racked onto fruit totaling 7 gallons so........
Air lock activity has picked up and foaming on fruit cap I am worried is this normal ?
Thanks Robert from riverside ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Masbustelo

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
As "dirty" as your must looks with yeast and fruit etc. it looks like quite possibly you have such an active environment that the potassium additives were insufficient to stun the yeast into submission. With lots of fruit and nutrition your yeast maybe able to go to 18% alcohol. When you added the fruit it dropped your ABV and the fermentation has probably restarted.

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
K-Sorbate will not stop an active fermentation, it just inhibits yeast growth. With a healthy colony of a few billion yeast cells in there - yep, it'll keep fermenting.

R

Robert Blees

Thank you masbustelo.

R

Robert Blees

The bottle on the right was 17.99 from marshals in the home decor section !!! It's 7 gallons and the one behind it ,is the standard beer store 6 gallon jug

R

Robert Blees

670a5e70b38a6dc946294a8e1649542e.jpg
a picture of my jugs

R

Robert Blees

Fruit cap , is getting smaller every day ! Will the fruit eventually fall out of suspension ?
06f69619ebfa95961a6db778c4731dba.jpg

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Some will, some will not. Don't wait for it. Fruit can begin to add vegetal character to your mead if left in there more than a couple of weeks. So I'd start thinking about racking if you're close to that or beyond.

Doesn't look like you have any kind of mesh in there to separate, and siphoning with fruit pulp is an exercise in pure frustration. Do you have a plan for getting the fruit out?

R

Robert Blees

Thanks for the reply as always ! I'm in riverside ca and was introduced to mead as a drunken evening was in full swing , but only in conversation. My first taste was my own blackberry melomel from more beer.com The kit had two cans of purée from vinters harvest
This is my second batch and I wanted to add fresh fruit so 12 pounds of strawberrys and a few pounds of kiwi was found at a local fruit stand. Now I wish I had used a bag to contain the pulp .and pouring it out is a no no I'm sure ,with introduction of oxygen after primary . I have a filter to use. Maybe a mesh around end of racking cane?

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, but just for the evening! Ha.

Hearkening back to my early mead days, I've done both. Mostly out of paranoia. Racking with mesh over the cane tip is frustrating because you have to pause frequently to clear the mesh so fluid will flow again, then restart the siphon...it makes you want to nibble on a gun barrel.

In your situation, I would pour. I would set up a clean sanitary bucket (a bottling bucket with a spigot is best), and get a friend who can help hold the bucket at an angle so you can pour down the inside of the bucket, and minimize splashing. Then I would get the biggest funnel you can find (I got mine from the auto parts store, oil change funnel), put a wire mesh basket/strainer in the funnel, and if you like, layer that with one or two ply of cheese cloth. Then slowly pour your mead through the cheese cloth, strainer and funnel, into the bucket. It takes several hands to accomplish, but when you're done (a) you'll like the result and (b) you'll never want to do it again! Lol.

Then of course you can hook a clear clean hose to your spigot and drain your mead quietly back into your carboy to clear.

Cheers and good luck!

R

Robert Blees

60ea00bc708cee137a1276b9a8b60147.jpg
after five days the color is still a murky brown in the jug and a slight orangish red in the wine thief Still hads bubbles rising after 5 days on the berries and the strawberries are almost all chewed up.
Thinking about the pouring idea and filtering I don't want to lose a drop of fluid so if I have to rack 4 more times I will until this all drops out or is filtered out

R

Robert Blees

A few pieces of pulp made it thru into the third racking How will that work out over the next month
Oh and I tested ph at 3.0 is that ok

R

Robert Blees

Mead making is magnificent

Last edited:
R

Robert Blees

It's dry. Fermentation is over hint of strawberry but as a melomel its ditched the traditional mead flavor

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns