PDA

View Full Version : How about some suggestions :)

Squatchy
03-23-2016, 01:28 PM
So I have been sitting on a few different honeys for a while and still can't decide what to do with them. So I figured I would hit you guys up for some ideas.
I have 3 different honeys and 2 different fruits. And of course I can buy other things to mix up but I would sorta just like to get a batch or 2 going shortly.

So I have raspberry blossom, Blackberry blossom, Mesquite and fireweed honey as well as a gallon of really nice maple syrup.

I have 36 pounds of frozen montmorency cherries.

About the same or more fresh/frozen Palisade peaches.
I have black currant, blueberry and Cab Sauv wine base.

I have several different yeast as well as access to stores to get most anything.

For some reason I can't figure out what to do so I decided to ask to see if any of you have ideas.

Thanks for your replies

loveofrose
03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
I would go with a 50:50 mixture of raspberry and blackberry blossom honey paired with cherries, black currants, and blueberries. A massive fruit bomb. I'm on a fruit kick lately though!

I also imagine mesquite honey and peaches would do well together. Post a log whatever you do!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Farmboyc
03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
I would go with a 50:50 mixture of raspberry and blackberry blossom honey paired with cherries, black currants, and blueberries. A massive fruit bomb. I'm on a fruit kick lately.l[/url]

Heck throw in some coco nibs and you would have a Black Forest mead.

Mazer828
03-23-2016, 02:16 PM
And throw cherries in the primary and the secondary for the huge layering effect. I'm working the kinks out of a huge cherry mel that will involve cherry juice, honey (of course), fresh cherries in the primary and secondary, and I'm toying with the idea of using some other kind of juice during the ferment to prevent it from drying out, like perhaps some zinfandel grape extract, or prune juice.

Stasis
03-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Whenever I have a new honey (which is rare) I like making at least 1 batch of traditional for a baseline for other meads. I like LOR's suggestion and having traditionals as a baseline can help you decide if you want to try a single varietal in the future or if adding fruit is even that much worth it (although with berries I think you can hardly go wrong...)

Squatchy
09-21-2016, 10:33 AM
So I ended up with a "top three" by mixing several of the different honeys in a trad. Now I just need to buy some fiver's of these honey's to make some in bulk.

HeidrunsGift
09-21-2016, 08:08 PM
I recently made a dry raspberry blossom traditional and it was phenomenal, in fact one of my favorites I've ever made. If you haven't done one before, I would highly recommend it. I plan on doing it again except this time using a chardonnay yeast, maybe Lalvin 3079, and doing extended again on the lees for a better mouth feel in addition to a MLF.

Not a very exciting suggestion, but thought I'd mention it in case you havent had raspberry blossom traditional before.