• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gruit Mead Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
I love historical recipes. I also love category defying meads. This time, I'm trying something new that is actually very old.

I've been reading "How to Brew like a Viking". It's a fascinating book that is focused on the history and lore of Nordic/Viking peoples as it relates to their version of mead. A version nothing like ours.

In any event, Vikings didn't really make mead the way we think of it. It was more of a mixture of everything they could pilfer or barter. Anything fermentable was fair game: grains, honey, various sugar, fruits, etc. Herbs with stimulating effects were frequently used (often psychedelic). Any brew Vikings made would likely defy any category the BJCP currently has....Awesome. I've got to make some of this!

Grains mixed with honey seemed preferred mostly due to availability. The gruit or herbs were know to have a stimulating/intoxicating effect alone, so they are crucial to the mix. After much research, I've narrowed the major herbs down to sweet gale (bog myrtle), yarrow, marsh rosemary, and mugwort. Secondary spices are varied and numerous but included juniper, ginger, wormwood, and many others. Basically, whatever they could find.

Recipes were simple. Make a syrupy, spiced tea and ask the gods to bless it (with yeast). They often had a stirring stick colonized with yeast ( though they didn't know that). I'll get to that eventually. The important point is that the recipes were easy!

Goals: I want an easy, throwback to gruit mead with a few modern improvements to reduce spoilage and ensure fast consumption; however, my ultimate goal is to make this a wild ferment. I'll start with a BOMM style to get the recipe right, then generate a ginger bug for the recipe. Or culture a bee for yeast. I've thought a lot about that, so it will likely happen.

My question to the group is as follows: What are your suggestions on gruit spice ratios and timing of additions? I'm doing the research currently, but nothing replaces experience!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
I've got that book sitting on my coffee table, but haven't gotten around to it. Was too busy finishing up Yeast by Chris White.

That being said, I'm highly interested in what a LOR wild ferment would look like!

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I made a gruit beer about 16 months ago- used about 1 oz of mugwart, 1 oz of sweet gale and 1oz of yarrow to the mash water to make a gallon of the beer. A gruit mead is in my "to make" book. I would use the same quantity of herbs. But I never tried capturing wild yeast for the first project and cannot see me doing that for the next one.

Kettla

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 24, 2016
I'm making my first batch of mead today, and I would like to add some heather tops, but i'm unsure as when to add it. I am no expert but I imagine that people in ancient times did not have the cooking equipment that we have today, so I imagine that they (herbs and spices) were added together when they would mix the water and honey.

the buzzed bee
Kjetil

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Just my $0.02 on Heather, you will not get high returns in bitterness from it. You really need to add quite a bit and boil a good length of time to get it. I prefer not to boil or heat the honey for mead so I don't use Heather tips for bitterness. The floral character is quite nice though, but I recommend only adding as a dry "hop" style addition, post ferment. That way you minimize chance of bugs in the Heather infecting your mead, and your ferment doesn't blow off all those delicate floral aromatics.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
How long did you boil the herbs?

I was brewing beer and I used the following site as a guide: http://www.gruitale.com/rec_basic_gruit.htm
I don't have my notes with me - won't have them until Sunday night or Monday but I suspect I boiled the herbs for about 60 minutes and 30 minutes (as if they were hops).

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
I made some gruit last summer. Still in the keg. I know the post is somewhere if you search. Just common sense to add your tasting and floral herbs either in the secondary or during flame out. Beware the bog myrtle can be potent with the bitterness... use sparingly. I saw some posted about gruitale.com. Great resource and full of helpful links.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Thanks everyone for the input. It has been extremely helpful. I'm compiling a list of major and minor herbs with effects in a spreadsheet. I'm also creating an online source list as these items can be difficult to find. I've got the major herbs on order from www.brewbrothers.biz.

I am also in the market for a few live bees for yeast culturing purposes. It may be an awkward conversation with my local beeks, but if there is mead involved it will likely smooth over. I'm thinking of trapping them in a jar with a petri plate of yeast selection media and seeing what yeasts culture off of them.

Anyway, always lots of ideas and little time. I'll get to it eventually!

Yenren

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2015
Hi, I used 2oz of Bog Myrtle "dry hopped" in 23 Liters of porter, It was very nice to my taste and that of many others.But as for the effects I think the hops and bog myrtle clashed, I found myself to be a bit edgy after a few bottles, but have been told when mixed with yarrow the effects are very fun!
Check out this book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation by Stephen Harrod Buhner
its very informative, but the recipes do need bit of tweaking, Its on torrentz.eu if your want to try before you buy!
I have a herdlist buddy who has made this gruit before I will try and wrestle a recipe out of him.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Yes, that seems to be the only real gruit site. Everything else is random recipes. Most all of them are strongly beer related. I'm going to lean more towards mead centric recipes for my purposes.

Vikings likely made beer like gruit for normal consumption while mead forward gruit was reserved for ceremonials. I'm working towards recreation of the later as well as tapping into the (mostly) forgotten potential of these herbs.

Last edited:

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Heather is not itself a psychotropic but there is a fungus that grows on heather known as fogg and I believe that fogg is said to have psychotropic characteristics. Wormwood, is something else. Isn't that the key ingredient of absinthe (thujone) ? And isn't absinthe rather infamous for its deleterious effects on those drank it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns