PDA

View Full Version : Racking Question

UberWilhelm
04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Howdy.

Once the little yeasties stop burping and I go to rack the batch, do I keep an air lock on it or just seal it up? Thanks

Maylar
04-04-2016, 04:16 PM
I like to keep an airlock on it for the first month just to be sure the yeasties are done and the CO2 is gone. After that I'll use a solid cap.

EbonHawk
04-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Huh, I'd be scared to risk my jugs like that. I like to keep them airlocked for the duration of the aging process, whether it's 2 months or a year, and change out the locks with fresh ones when I see any flying insects trying to establish residence in them. The fruit flies this year are EPIC!! Thank goodness they still fall for the old "apple cider vinegar spiked with liquid dish soap" trick. :-)

Mazer828
04-04-2016, 08:24 PM
I have recently started replacing airlock with silicone breathable bungs for long term bulk storage. Pretty cool, keeps the critters out and allows for minor residual fermentation activity.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/drilled-carboy-bung-silicone.html

EbonHawk
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I have recently started replacing airlock with silicone breathable bungs for long term bulk storage. Pretty cool, keeps the critters out and allows for minor residual fermentation activity.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/drilled-carboy-bung-silicone.htmlThat's what I was trying to remember the other day.. I need some of those.

Mazer828
04-04-2016, 08:30 PM
That's what I was trying to remember the other day.. I need some of those.
Yeah I wasn't ready to fully commit so I only bought three. Guess I'll have to see what the next few months show before I buy any more.

skunkboy
04-04-2016, 09:09 PM
I've seen those silicon bungs but been somewhat afraid to use one on a large batch until I know somebody else who was using them first...

Squatchy
04-04-2016, 09:57 PM
I've seen those silicon bungs but been somewhat afraid to use one on a large batch until I know somebody else who was using them first...

Hey skunkboy. Nice to see ya back. You've been gone a while. What,, did they lock up up again LOL ;P

skunkboy
04-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Again?! Why, what have you heard?! :brave:

Been in a funk, decided I need to start bottling stuff, and poking around on gotmead again... :)

mannye
04-05-2016, 07:35 AM
I keep them airlocked for years, but those bungs look cool. I have been meaning to get them for YEARS. Maybe tomorrow....

Stasis
04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
The rubber bungs I use become a bit unreliable by time. True, they are 20 years old. But at least if one is leaking air I notice because the water level in the airlock would equalize too quickly. Sometimes I don't place a bung or airlock quite right and this happens. What I'm afraid is that if one of these are placed incorrectly, or if one turns out defective there is no way of knowing. I'd also probably become a bit paranoid the more I use them because of wear and tear or rubber losing elasticity.
Having said that, I'm very curious how these work and wouldn't mind using them on smaller batches. Maybe if the mechanism seems robust enough I'd use it on larger batches

UberWilhelm
04-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Excellent. Thanks all